Hot Weather and Hypoglycaemia

iHs

Hi everyone who uses insulin, especially the newbies.....

In very hot temperatures, insulin tends to work much quicker due to blood vessels dilating so beware of low bg levels and test bg a bit more and probably best to play safe and reduce twice daily by 1 or 2u or if on basal/bolus....reduce the basal by 1 or 2u. Drink plenty of fluids and use a fan if need be. I will be doing a TBR on my pump.

All the best and be safe

Reactions: 18 people

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
thanks for that, was wondering why I have had a couple of hypos over the last few days. Hopefully this is why.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks iHs. I've seen the advice about travelling to hot countries, but wasn't sure it applied to Manchester!

It explains an unexpected low BG yesterday. I compensated by eating more carbs at breakfast this morning (an extra Weetabix) and that did the trick today (supposed to be hotter than Rio).

I will take your advice to test more often and drink more.

Cheers and enjoy the sunshine whilst it lasts.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Was getting very low before lunch where Im usually good.

Very hot in the office so that explains it!

GoRachel1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lizards (especially geckos...)
People who are nosy, pushy and don't respect personal boundaries.
Eggplant and liver...
Diabetes
Pitbull's lyrics...
Thanks... I suspected that there was a relationship between hot weather and blood sugar levels.

I don't bother adjusting my dose for "hot days" because where I live, the days are generally hot anyway.

Xtrius

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Redundancy...
I had several hypoglycaemia crisis in the last month. One was a serious "dead in bed".I am still wondering how I survived. Officially I have to make three Novo Rapid shots and one Lantus per day. I'm a diabetic since 1986. Now I am 46 years old. I have lost 22 kilos in the last twelve months. I am not able to calibre myself with my new weight and the necessary insulin doses.
About insulin and hot weather: it's not much to say about it. Just don't misinterpret the sweating... The rest is just ordinary diabetes stuff.

patchworks101

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
Hi everyone who uses insulin, especially the newbies.....

In very hot temperatures, insulin tends to work much quicker due to blood vessels dilating so beware of low bg levels and test bg a bit more and probably best to play safe and reduce twice daily by 1 or 2u or if on basal/bolus....reduce the basal by 1 or 2u. Drink plenty of fluids and use a fan if need be. I will be doing a TBR on my pump.

All the best and be safe

Hi

Like GoRachel1989 it's normally hotter here than the UK but last night was exceptional (45c !!) and would explain why I needed a cereal bar to bring my BG back up before I went to bed. Was in hospital so I suppose I was in the best place if I had gone hypo :rolleyes:
BB