1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hot weather

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by saz1902, Jul 8, 2013.

1. saz1902

saz1902 · Well-Known Member

Hi all!

Hoping for any experiance and advice. This is my first summer as type 1, and cannot seem to get my glucose levels below 8. I seem to have been having high readings since the hot weather started, no probs before. Has anyone else had this problem in hot weather? My diet and excersise ect has not changed. Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. 1974darrenh

1974darrenh Type 1 · Member

I'm the opposite.

Hot weather always makes my levels low. Its a known fact that insulin gets absorbed quicker in hot conditions. Hypo's are a lot more likely.

• Like Like x 2
  3. saz1902

Boo. Im at a loss now. If insulin gets used quicker in hot weather, im abit stuck :( call to the dn then i think. Thanks for your reply x

4. slimtony

slimtony · Well-Known Member

Hi,

The first thing to try is changing your Lantus cartridge for a fresh one. This was usually the reason I'd have highs during hot weather while I was using Lantus. Worth a try at least. :thumbup:

5. saz1902

Thanks slimtony. I will try that. Will try any thing at the moment. Thank you x

6. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My levels have been running slightly higher in the heat too. Compensated by 20% extra basal (on pump) working well so far. My only reason (non scientific) is my body not working so hard to keep warm resulting in raised levels.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Agree with Tony that you should change your insulin before anything else, the heat can cause the insulin to deteriorate much faster than in cooler weather so do try and keep your insulin cool Saz, the Frio wallets work a treat in these hot summer months!

8. saz1902

Thanks all! Will try the cooler pens and up my lantus. Fingers crossed. Thanks again x

9. fractureman

fractureman · Well-Known Member

Is the complete opposite for me too. I leave my lantus the same but drop humolog as don't need as much during warm weather

10. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hot weather often means we are lazy, lie about in the sunshine. So if you're less active you'll need a touch more insulin!

For me the heat means I need increased insulin, but everyone is different!

11. saz1902

Wish i could be lazy lol! Got a 2 year old to run after, so i dont think i have been that much less active. May abit slower tho cos of the heat. Its a good point, didnt think of that. Upped lantus last night and am going to slightly increase novorapid today. Thank you all again for your comments and ideas x

12. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find myself more active in the sun as I want to go for walks etc, its not the same for everyone though.

I spent Sunday with my niece (7) and nephews (16 months and 7 months) it made for a mild hypo filled day of playing outside. I'm glad my sisters still trust my hypo awareness enough to let me baby sit. (I didn't drop below 3.6)

13. dave howard

dave howard Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have to lower my daytime (.Novorapid) levels when the weather is hot. I always keep my bedtime (Levemir) the same. Whichever one you decide to adjust please be sure to do so a little bit at a time, for a couple of days at least with each change.
    Good luck to everyone who is finding problems with the heat affecting their blood sugars.

14. sarah1282

sarah1282 · Well-Known Member

I have to reduce my nova rapid and lantus when its hot my levels drop really fast in the heat even eating a banana which when its cold outside my levels shoot up but in this heat doesn't even touch my levels. :cry:

15. jake60

jake60 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm actually finding that I'm better since this hot spell started. Back pain much better too.
    I'm doing a lot of reading of the more experienced diabetic folk on here and I think I'm begining to learn what's what ... at last.

16. Ness74

Ness74 · Newbie

My 5 year old daughter has been having highs with this weather too, don't know how old you are but I found her playing in the paddling pool bought her sugar levels down. Your never too old , You could always invest in one & have some fun with cold water? ;-) good luck

17. jake60

jake60 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that I had my feet in one that my two year old granddaughter was sitting in this evening!

18. saz1902

Hi Ness, im 31, so maybe too old lol. Could use my 2 year old as an excuse to get in tho lol. Its so crazy how differently our bodies react to the same thing! Having slightly better readings now novorapid has increased. Love this forum, you are all so friendly and helpfull. :) x

19. Italie

Italie · Member

My sugars always run high when I'm warm. In the winter I like to have my fan heater pointed directly at me and even this shoots it through the roof! I don't do any more or less exercise when its sunny so it's definitely the heat that does it. You just need to work out how our body works and adapt to it. Insayingthat, I'd love to know at which temperature precisely my body thinks I'm too warm! :D

20. djp48

djp48 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi have been type 1 for nearly 60 years and have been pumping Bovine Neutral for the past 7 months, have a horse and ride 5 or 6 days a week, have found that all has been much easier although basal level has stayed the same bolus level has dropped a little.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook