Hounslow Cardio/Diabetes Support Group 2015

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Meetings are on the last Tuesday of each month.

We have started contacting speakers for our meetings for this year. Hopefully, we will have a full programme where we will have interesting and relevant speakers to meet the needs of our group. I would like make contact with anyone will to help me find speakers and help with the mail shots. I am looking for someone who will be comfortable using a computer. If anybody is able to help I would really appreciate it.

The details of our next meeting which is on Tuesday 27 January are given below. Our first speaker will be Lynn Hammond, Senior Care Navigator withIntegrated Neurological Services (INS), with will give a talk titled “Local support Local People* You can find out about INS on the following website http://www.ins.org.uk/.

Our second speaker will be Steven Otter from Healthwatch. He is the Chair of the hounslow group of Healthwatch. He will give talk on the work which this organisation does and he wants explore the possibilities which may exist on how we can work together. You can can find out more about Healthwatch on the following link http://www.healthwatchhounslow.co.uk/profiles/information-sign-posting.

The programme for the evening will be :

7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments

7.30pm Lynn Hammond, Integrated Neurological Services.

8.10pm Steven Otter, Chair of Healthwatch, Hounslow

8.50pm Raffle

9.00pm Close

Venue:

Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD

Montague Road is just off Hounslow High Street on the corner with Holy Trinity Church. The Hall is opposite Hounslow Police Station. There is ample free parking after 6.30pm in public car parks in Montague Road and Alexandra Road (the next road along, see map attached).

Cost

Our meetings are free, but we ask for a donation of £1 at the door to cover the cost of providing refreshments and buying a gift for the guest speaker.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've got my copies of Dr Deakin's "Eat Fat" to introduce at the meeting.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've got my copies of Dr Deakin's "Eat Fat" to introduce at the meeting.

Very well received, though 2 of 30 argued against, particularly because the emphasis is on eat fat, rather than low carb. The group is convinced and some report success.

I sold 2 books, one to the group leader. The second speaker didn't turn up, so I had 30 minutes.

3 girls from Duk were there. One has arranged for a diet expert to contact me.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The girl who promised did phone to say she had spoken to a diet expert who would phone me .....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Meeting tonight Feb 24

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Items from our January meeting:

Due to ill health Steven Otter, Chair of Healthwatch, Hounslow could not attend our meeting. Despite this we still had a really interesting meeting. We had an excellent talk Lynn Hammon, Senior Care Navigator with Integrated Neurological Services (INS), with will give a talk titled “Local support Local People* You can find out about INS and their services on the following websitehttp://www.ins.org.uk/.

Lynn’s talk was followed by Ian Day who introduced a publication called “Eat Fat” by Dr Trudy Deakin. The summary her views and how she formulated them can read on Line. Please follow the link below: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...carbs-fuelling-obesity-diabetes-epidemic.html

You can purchase her book on line and it costs £9.99. There was an debate on a low carbohydrate diet and I would say that this was the highlight of the evening.

The details of our next meeting which is on Tuesday 24 February are given below. Our first speaker will be Shanta Lamichhane. Shanta is the Business manager at 3NSTAR Ltd. They run courses on how prepare food from start to finish so that you can maximise your intake Vitamins and Minerals. I am sure that this will be a an interesting talk. They will also give information on how get onto one of their courses.

Our second speaker will be Dr Talac Mahmud. He is a senior partner at theFirstcare Practice, Blenheim Centre, Hounslow, TW3 1NL. He will give a talk titled “Using social media to improve your health”.

The programme for the evening will be :

7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments

7.30pm Shanta Lamichhane, Business manager at 3NSTAR Ltd.

8.10pm Dr Talac Mahmud, Firstcare Practice, Hounslow

8.50pm Raffle

9.00pm Close

Venue:

Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD

Montague Road is just off Hounslow High Street on the corner with Holy Trinity Church. The Hall is opposite Hounslow Police Station. There is ample free parking after 6.30pm in public car parks in Montague Road and Alexandra Road (the next road along, see map attached).