IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The invitation reads:
We hope that this letter finds you in good health.

Our last meeting was very interesting indeed. Again, it was very well attended and we thank all those who attended.

The talk was presented by Jennifer Bank Smith ( Health Promotion Manager with the Hounslow PCT) on the Expert Patient Programme. More information can be found on this web link http://www.hrch.nhs.uk/patients/get-inv ... -patients/. If you wish speak to someone about this programme the details are:

Jennifer Banks-Smith
Healthy Improvement Manager
Phone: 0208 560 2121
email: [email protected]

Our next Meeting is on Tuesday August 30 . Members, of all Groups are welcome to attend, with their family, loved ones and carers. Our main speaker will be Darren Marsh (Diabetic Dietician, WMUH). His presentation will include new Diabetes UK guidelines with some practical advice on managing Diabetes. At present we do not have a confirmation from our second speaker but we will try and organise something appropriate like Cardiovascular healthcare quiz.

The programme for the evening:
7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments
7.25pm Darren Marsh.
8.35pm To be advised
9.05pm Raffle.
9.15pm Close

Venue:
Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD. Location and directions below.

Our meetings are free, but we ask for a donation of £1 at the door to cover the cost of providing refreshments and buying a gift for the guest speaker.

We want to maintain the services we offer and plan to extend our work. If you would also like to see our group grow, and be more influential in lobbying to maintain local diabetes healthcare services in Hounslow, please help as a volunteer if you can, it would be greatly appreciated. . If you would like to join the committee please let me know.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The previous meeting is reported here.

My submission had an enthusiastic response, but AFAIK no follow up. I emailed the organiser who responded:
Thank your very much for the recipe. Would you mind If I shared it with the rest of the group when I do the next mail shot?

I did not get a chance to speak to you after our last meeting because you had a number of people around you. I was very interested in what you had to say.

IanD said:
I don't know if you tried my cakes I brought to the meeting. There was a lot of interest so I give the basic recipe for circulation to the group.

ground almonds - 150 g
baking powder - 1 teasp
oat bran - 25 g
eggs - 3
olive oil - 100 ml

sieve together the dry ingredients
beat together oil & eggs
add to powder & beat
should be a soft dropping consistency - add milk if necessary

spoon into 12 baking cases ( or a small loaf tin) I use reusable silicone
bake at 175 for 16 minutes

result is light & spongy - use as cake, bread, potato etc
about 1 g carb per cake (bread has 16 g per slice)
keep in fridge after the first day

I make all sorts of changes - spice, flax seed, cocoa, coconut, sultanas, non-sugar sweetener
I split them & spread with cholesterol-reducing marg

enjoy

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Out of 31463 members of the forum, is there only 1 near Hounslow? :( ? :( ?

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ian

I have had the same response to my post about setting up a support group in Coventry. I cant believe that there are no other forum members in Coventry - maybe there are but they are just not interested in getting involved with a support group?

We can only do what we can do Ian and everyone else is responsible for themselves.

Jude :wink:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Jude said:
Hi Ian

I have had the same response to my post about setting up a support group in Coventry. I cant believe that there are no other forum members in Coventry - maybe there are but they are just not interested in getting involved with a support group?

We can only do what we can do Ian and everyone else is responsible for themselves.

Jude :wink:
Surprising - I told 100 people at the July meeting about this forum, & I think none have joined.

We DO need mutual support - more than the "official" info.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - the speaker cancelled - he was ill.
Some had, of course, come specially for diet advice.

The meeting began by explaining the UK interpretation of the EU directive on T1s driving & encouraging us to write to MPs & EuroMPs.

One of the regular leaders had prepared a quiz. The quiz included "What are the lightest & heaviest elements?"
Answer - hydrogen & iron.
We didn't let her get away with that - I referred her to Tom Lehrer - Nobelium.
She also said the 3 sources of sugar are honey, glucose & fructose;
& the two types of starch are starch & sugar.
I didn't win the bottle of wine.

I read out the DUK "position statement" with a few comments, including the Swedish conclusion advocating low carb & refuting the high carb advice.

They asked for volunteers for the committee - & asked me to join!!! They are listening.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
They also said Hounslow PCT have instructed Drs to cease prescribing test strips to T2s on metformin.

And that metf doesn't control BG - but didn't explain why it's universally prescibed & what it is supposed to do.