1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hounslow diabetes/cardiovascular meeting August 30th

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by IanD, Aug 27, 2011.

1. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The invitation reads:

2. IanD

The previous meeting is reported here.

My submission had an enthusiastic response, but AFAIK no follow up. I emailed the organiser who responded:

3. IanD

Out of 31463 members of the forum, is there only 1 near Hounslow? :( ? :( ?

4. Jude

Jude Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ian

I have had the same response to my post about setting up a support group in Coventry. I cant believe that there are no other forum members in Coventry - maybe there are but they are just not interested in getting involved with a support group?

We can only do what we can do Ian and everyone else is responsible for themselves.

Jude :wink:

5. IanD

Surprising - I told 100 people at the July meeting about this forum, & I think none have joined.

We DO need mutual support - more than the "official" info.

6. IanD

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - the speaker cancelled - he was ill.
    Some had, of course, come specially for diet advice.

The meeting began by explaining the UK interpretation of the EU directive on T1s driving & encouraging us to write to MPs & EuroMPs.

One of the regular leaders had prepared a quiz. The quiz included "What are the lightest & heaviest elements?"
    Answer - hydrogen & iron.
    We didn't let her get away with that - I referred her to Tom Lehrer - Nobelium.
    She also said the 3 sources of sugar are honey, glucose & fructose;
    & the two types of starch are starch & sugar.
    I didn't win the bottle of wine.

I read out the DUK "position statement" with a few comments, including the Swedish conclusion advocating low carb & refuting the high carb advice.

They asked for volunteers for the committee - & asked me to join!!! They are listening.

7. IanD

They also said Hounslow PCT have instructed Drs to cease prescribing test strips to T2s on metformin.

And that metf doesn't control BG - but didn't explain why it's universally prescibed & what it is supposed to do.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook