IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments
7.25pm Dr. N Pantazopoulos, Consultant Cardiologist, West Middlesex University Hospital.
8.35pm Dr. PK (Charley) Chatterjee PhD FASN FBPharmacolS FHEA, Senior Lecturer and MSc Course Leader in Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy & Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton
9.05pm Raffle.
9.15pm Close

Venue:
Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD.
Free car parking after 6:30, 5 minutes walk from Hounslow Central (Piccadilly line.)

Talk 1
7.2pm5-8.15pm
Dr. N Pantazopoulos, Consultant Cardiologist, West Middlesex University Hospital
Recent developments in the treatment of heart failure

Talk2
8.15pm -9.05pm
PK (Charley) Chatterjee PhD FASN FBPharmacolS FHEA,Senior Lecturer and MSc Course Leader in Pharmacology,School of Pharmacy & Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton
"Protecting the Kidney and other organs against Diabetic Complications - Research at the University of Brighton"

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Will I see any of you?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
This was a very interesting & useful evening.

Dr Chatterjee's papers mainly on kidney (mal)function.

An interesting point is that the saturated fatty acid - palmitic acid - was shown to damage kidney cells, whereas the unsat linolenic acid repaired the damage. Tests carried out feeding diabetic rats with linseed showed the improvement in live subjects.

I include milled linseed in my almond porridge & almond bread-cake recipes.

Dr Pantazopoulos stressed the heart protective effect of statins, advising changing statin if one causes side effects (muscle pains) or switching to niacin. (I tried niacin & it still caused muscle pains & it raised my BG by about 10%.

He showed a chart indicating the most serious risk factors for CHD being raised LDL chol (above 2.5), smoking, diabetes, obesity.