How accurate are home blood glucose testers?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just went to buy a blood glucose tester thing, it says 12.2 mmol/l
which this site says like HbA1c of 9
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-bloo ... erter.html

I've just had a blood test done, two weeks ago, so they would have had the results by now, surely they'd have rung me to tell me if it was that high? I do feel pretty bad, but I'd assumed it was stress and tiredness (I don't sleep well when I'm at uni, because of noise), although my hands are swollen, no idea what that's about.

I have an appointment with the diabetic clinic at the hospital in a month, not worth going to see the doctor before that really is it? And the leaflet for the glucophage says the max dose is 2000mg which I'm on, and the normal metformin made me ill, and I'm not taking a larger dose of Actos, and he won't prescribe Byetta, so there isn't anything he can do anyway I assume.

C

catherinecherub

Hi HLW, How long after food was this reading? That is a high reading.
If you let us know a typical day's menu we may be able to help you. A month is a long way off and you don't want to wait that long to try and get some control. The longer your readings are high then the worse you will feel.
Catherine.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate about 6.30, would that be making it be higher by now? My diet is very bad, I have problems when at uni because I don't like to use the shared kitchen, and I really dislike cooking, but I am only here for one more week, then I will be at home where it is much easier to prepare food.

I think I have been eating worse than normal recently, because I have been feeling a bit down about things. Not cooked at all this week.

I've been reading around about better things to eat, I intend to make a list of recipes etc in my new filofax, but I forgot to bring it to uni this time so that's not helpful! Not long till I'm home anyway.

C

catherinecherub

You need a reading of under 7 two hours after eating. Once you can get that you are on the right road and can start tweaking to try and get it lower. It is all trial and error I'm afraid.
Don't despair, this forum is the best place to ask questions.
Catherine.

saz1

Hi there,

I find my meter is accurate, it's accu chek aviva. Actually I have two, one of my friends at work gave me them and I have been comparing results with the meter at work and they correspond well. Reading of 12 is very high indeed and it's no wonder you are feeling a bit rubbish. I can also understand it's not nice to share a kitchen but there are ways around it. You can have a little steamer in your room or a slowcooker or a microwave.

Also you could fix yourself a load of healthy snacks like nuts and veg with humus that won't take much time or effort. I know being prepared isn't the easiest thing, actually a PITA, but for me a necessity. If I'm not prepared I'll fall into sugar and **** trap and it really makes me feel horrible. I can't imagine I lived like that before my diagnosis... I had a high spike on my leaving do, 1 hr reading was 11.2 and boy I was high and buzzing with palpitations and all...Not nice! Luckily my 2 hour reading was back down to 6 and I felt like myself again!

But try not to stress too much, that's just going to make things worse. I know it's not easy especially when you are worried about yourself but I think the best thing you could do is to go and see your doctor. That could give you some motivation and peace of mind. Good luck!

Slinger

best thing to do is to start carb counting. it's a pain to do but get use to it. i starting carb counting almost 12 months ago, i had to since my bg was high and a hba1c was 13%. i'm on a insulin pump now so i have to carb count otherwise bg would be all over the place