How can I continue LC with kidney stones?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh dear. I was doing so well but now I have a large kidney stone and need a uteroscopy to remove it. I need to cut out/down on many of my staple foods like raspberries, eggs, spinach, nuts and chocolate. Does anyone have similar problems and dietary advice? :(

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunspots, if your kidney stone is made of calcium, I think you'll find this interview interesting...

Canadian naturopath Kate Rheaume-Bleue, B.Sc., N.D. explains in her book, Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox, and in this interview how vitamins A, D3, K2, and magnesium manage calcium in our bodies, (i.e. keeping calcium out of our arteries and kidneys, and getting it into our teeth and bones where we want it).

I had no idea...until now. My hope, after you watch the video, is that you'll better understand how supplementing with K2 will make it possible for you to continue eating and benefitting from all those healthy foods you listed. :)

If you do a Google search on "Vitamin K2", also on YouTube, you'll find additional sources of information. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hope, after you watch the video, is that you'll better understand how supplementing with K2 will make it possible for you to continue eating and benefitting from all those healthy foods you listed. :)

After reading the information Indy51 provided, admittedly, the above comment is an assumption on my part. But, interestingly, I just did a Google search on "Vitamin K and kidney stones" and got lots of hits. To tired to read more tonight. Heading to bed. Let us know what you learn. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well I've had a scout around, but with enormous suspicion being a doctor and all too aware of how one person's idea can be blown huge by repetition on the internet! I still don't know if the stone is calcium or uric acid or both but I know almost everything I eat is high in one or the other. I've also had 2 courses of treatment now for low vitamin D which look like a potential culprit in stone formation. (I've treated myself to a convertible now on the grounds that it'll help my vitamin D levels more naturally! ;))

I was lazily hoping someone with similar problems might give me a list of suitable LC foods that won't increase the risk of stone formation. Very lazy of me but I thought 'why reinvent the wheel?'

It looks like I may have to choose between LC or the risk of more stones which is really sad as I have lost over 3 stone and have prediabetic HbA1c levels now. Taking away high stone risk foods will inevitably mean either an even more restricted diet or eating more carbs and so putting my BGs up again and coming out of ketosis and risking weight gain if I keep up the high fat for energy (more protein will be a risk if there is a uric acid component to the stones). I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Bleep.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following. Informed week before last I have multiple small stones. Consultant (lung/airways) not concerned but asked for urology to have a look.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunspots, I spent more time reading this morning. It's a complex subject. I'd need to spend a lot more time reading about this to provide an informed opinion.

I do understand your suspiciousness about the promotion of any nutritional supplement. I personally do not add any nutritional supplement until I've done a lot of reading on it. (Two people have written extensively on balancing intake of A, D3, K2 and magnesium and both reference their work: Chris Masterjohn, Ph.D., and Kate Rheaume-Bleue, N.D., B.Sc.)

However, I have read enough now on the benefits of getting the intake and balance right for vitamins A, D3, K2, and magnesium to reduce calcification of soft tissues and to improve teeth and bone health.

I have made changes to my diet and my nutritional supplement regimen to balance those nutrients due to the two diabetic complications affecting me personally: chest pains that began after I recently resumed supplementing with calcium, and muscle weakness (a type of neuropathy). Eye, kidneys, and liver are fine.

I'm now taking cod liver oil (Vitamin A), Vitamin D, MK-7 (K2 sourced from natto), and magnesium (in addition to taking an organic, whole food, vitamin and mineral supplement, and eye protector formulation, fish or krill oil, and CoQ10).

For now I have stopped supplementing with calcium but am continuing to eat calcium rich foods. In addition, I'm continuing to eat eggs, and am now eating butter from grass fed (not grain fed) cows and eating Gouda cheese, all natural sources of K2. Chest pains have remitted.

My husband went through this twice. Very painful. The first kidney stone was removed with Shock Wave Lithotripsy, the second was more problematic but he was eventually able to pass it.

I asked him what he did to resolve the problem. He said he didn't want to do the diet. Instead he increased his daily water intake by 1 liter, and no longer has the problem.

It's good that they're going to remove the stone, and, I assume, test it to determine what the stone is made of so you'll know exactly which foods you need to restrict.

You'll read a lot about increasing water intake and drinking fresh lemon juice daily. If you go that route, protect your teeth enamel from the lemon juice by drinking it with a straw.

Good luck. Let us know what you learn and works for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you Winnie53! I must admit I can't face anymore pills etc. I already take a multivitamin, Pure EPA and Macushield plus a further 4 prescribed medications. I can now swallow 11 capsules etc. in one go!
I'm glad to hear eggs are good as my chickens are laying more than 20 each week and I shall now add Gouda to make cheese omelettes. I'll cut back on the spinach I usually add though. Shame.
I have started to measure my water intake and increased it but I tried adding lemon juice and it is foul! I'm investigating Robinson's sugar free lemon squash as a weaker alternative.
I've decided I'm not going to stop LCHF unless the stones return. I'd rather have the pain than diabetic complications, but I'd rather have neither....

Reactions: 6 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I so understand. When we have multiple health issues, sorting out diet, supplements, and medications takes on a level of complexity that feels overwhelming at times. For me it's been two steps forward, one step back consistently, but I am making progress.

I continue to read about the other diets, but I just can't figure out how to make them work for me because I'm so carbohydrate intolerant. So for now at least, I'm sticking with the LCHF diet and adding lots of vegetables. Thankfully, I don't have a problem with kidney stones, [knock on wood]. I keep reading in various places that becoming dehydrated on the LCHF diet can result in unwanted affects. Maybe I should start a list. Scares me a little. Thankfully, my husband is constantly on me to stay hydrated. Married a good man.

As for lemon, I do not like lemon water, but I do like lemonade, which I've always made with lemons, sugar, and water. This summer I might experiment with making lemonade with Stevia instead of sugar. Yum. :)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If the stone given it's a calcium stone, ask your doctor for potassium-citrate capsules (urocit K) Most important increase your water intake.

Yehaw

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My stones 4mm apparently occurred whilst eating a LCHF diet so I had exactly the same worries but decided better to have the stones and keep my feet, strangely I have recently had the tests to try to establish what kind they were, calcium or Uric but all my levels came back normal, they did originally on a cat scan in A&E find them in a tract of some sort so reckon I've passed some, but the latest X-ray the stone doctor said there has been no change in their size since the first X-ray over a year ago, as I haven't actually caught any (nor have I tried as it involved my weeing through a strainer) I still don't know what type I'm growing, it does however seem to suggest that my stones aren't growing at all whilst eating lchf and I eat all the foods you've mentioned,

not sure how useful my comment is lol