How Can I Keep My Sugars High Enough For Long Painting And Decorating

wes18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I’m t1 and when I’m doing painting for long periods my levels go low constantly has any one any ideas for me to keep my levels high enough to do long periods of painting without risking hypos over long periods of time while using energy pls and thks in advance

Reactions: Freema

wes18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry I forgot to mention this is my first time posting on this forum

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Wes, and welcome aboard.

I'm not a T1, but would sipping some squash, or the like, as you go along work to keep your levels up? (I'm assuming your levels are pretty OK ta other times?)

wes18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wes, and welcome aboard.

I'm not a T1, but would sipping some squash, or the like, as you go along work to keep your levels up? (I'm assuming your levels are pretty OK ta other times?)

Thks for the welcome and comment DCUKMod, ya my levels aren’t bad like but when I do any long period of physical things my sugars drop really fast, like I can only go to the gym after my breakfast when my sugars are high other wise there drop pretty fast if I haven’t eaten before doing anything physical

wes18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 100% insulin dependent and use creon before eating my pancreas isn’t working at all

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @wes18 and welcome :)

Rather than running high which can be detrimental to your health in the long term - what about reducing your basal insulin if your in a bolus/basal routine ?

Reactions: wes18

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The other alternative is to ask your team about getting access to a pump as this would help with your work as it’s easier to adjust insulin to suit your lifestyle.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Early on (51 years ago) I was informed that I had 3 strategies for dealing with exercise.
1) eat more to cover the drop in blood glucose with exercise
2) reduce my insulin dose for the time during and for at least 6 hours + after exercise
3) a mixture of 1) and 2)

Later I learned more about the whys and wherefores. And that having lots to eat to keep BSLS up (= option 1) was fine in one sense but I tended to put on weight. And if the exercise was very vigorous the adrenaline involved would spike my blood sugar early on but my muscles would use up their stored sugar and 6 + hours later would replenish that store by drawing up glucose from my blood causing the hypos. Eating at 2 am might be great in some ways but ...
So .... I would reduce my insulin dose(s) for the insulin(s) working at and following the work (= option 2)). usually 20 % or more depending on length and intensity of exercise. For each day of a canoe trip I would look at the may, try to guess the exercise involved and allow for the fall in BSL that evening. I could always slide to option 3) if needed.
Now using an insulin pump I can program a 20 to 30 % reduction in basal insulin for the 4 to 6 hours etc.
If the work could not be done due to bad weather etc then I would add in a correction dose and top up the basal dose etc And , um if I had used option 1) regurgitating extra food eaten was a decidedly less popular way to deal with things!!!
With THREE EXCEPTIONS:
1) if my BSL was 13 mol/l or higher I would hold up exercising because at that and higher BSL the liver starts putting more glucose into the blood stream . Why ? not sure but probably some feedback that at those BSLs the body cells are starving. Exercising at such BSLs made me feel sick, BSLS just went higher. So.. for such bsls I would take a correction dose of short-acting insulin, wait until BSL was below 11 mmol/l and then make adjustments to basal insulin dose etc
2) if I was unwell with a cold, viral infection I figured exercise was not a good idea and usually my insulin doses had had to be raised to deal with the stress of illness anyway.
3) if my bsls was unstable, particularly hypos occurring I would be more vigilant with exercise/work or avoid it and in particular avoid heights, use of electrical machinery, use of sharp instruments etc
4) there is always another exception like being distracted away from starting work to watch a good movie, the football etc the excitement of these would often send my BSLs up and so more insulin was needed !!
Best Wishes with your work/renovation (or reno, as we say in Oz).

wes18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wes18 and welcome :)

Rather than running high which can be detrimental to your health in the long term - what about reducing your basal insulin if your in a bolus/basal routine ?

Thks a lot for the information, can u pls tell me wat would u would call high, I often went to the gym wit um at 15, is that to high to be doing exercise , because when they were 15 and I done a workout they would drop down to around 6/7 after my workout

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @wes18, Yes, the high I get (got) was directly after exercise. The drop was later on and the 6 hours + was usually the low point.
I found that gentler exercise like brisk walking did not upset my bsls so much so that is my preferred exercise these days.

wes18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Early on (51 years ago) I was informed that I had 3 strategies for dealing with exercise.
1) eat more to cover the drop in blood glucose with exercise
2) reduce my insulin dose for the time during and for at least 6 hours + after exercise
3) a mixture of 1) and 2)

Later I learned more about the whys and wherefores. And that having lots to eat to keep BSLS up (= option 1) was fine in one sense but I tended to put on weight. And if the exercise was very vigorous the adrenaline involved would spike my blood sugar early on but my muscles would use up their stored sugar and 6 + hours later would replenish that store by drawing up glucose from my blood causing the hypos. Eating at 2 am might be great in some ways but ...
So .... I would reduce my insulin dose(s) for the insulin(s) working at and following the work (= option 2)). usually 20 % or more depending on length and intensity of exercise. For each day of a canoe trip I would look at the may, try to guess the exercise involved and allow for the fall in BSL that evening. I could always slide to option 3) if needed.
Now using an insulin pump I can program a 20 to 30 % reduction in basal insulin for the 4 to 6 hours etc.
If the work could not be done due to bad weather etc then I would add in a correction dose and top up the basal dose etc And , um if I had used option 1) regurgitating extra food eaten was a decidedly less popular way to deal with things!!!
With THREE EXCEPTIONS:
1) if my BSL was 13 mol/l or higher I would hold up exercising because at that and higher BSL the liver starts putting more glucose into the blood stream . Why ? not sure but probably some feedback that at those BSLs the body cells are starving. Exercising at such BSLs made me feel sick, BSLS just went higher. So.. for such bsls I would take a correction dose of short-acting insulin, wait until BSL was below 11 mmol/l and then make adjustments to basal insulin dose etc
2) if I was unwell with a cold, viral infection I figured exercise was not a good idea and usually my insulin doses had had to be raised to deal with the stress of illness anyway.
3) if my bsls was unstable, particularly hypos occurring I would be more vigilant with exercise/work or avoid it and in particular avoid heights, use of electrical machinery, use of sharp instruments etc
4) there is always another exception like being distracted away from starting work to watch a good movie, the football etc the excitement of these would often send my BSLs up and so more insulin was needed !!
Best Wishes with your work/renovation (or reno, as we say in Oz).

Very good comment thks a lot , I’ll will keep everything u said in mind, thks again

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Just keep in mind that no excuse gets you or me out of washing the dishes !!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thks a lot for the information, can u pls tell me wat would u would call high, I often went to the gym wit um at 15, is that to high to be doing exercise , because when they were 15 and I done a workout they would drop down to around 6/7 after my workout

Anything over 12 mmol/l for me means exercise become much harder, as the glucose isn't being processed properly and my muscles have no energy, so try to aim to start any exercise between 6 and 9, depending on the duration and intensity I will reduce the basal setting on my pump then test regularly, if I was on MDI then I would reduce the bolus for food prior to exercise.

I also use the Libre sensor as a I can carry on exercising without stopping, I self fund it and although it's not cheap it been a game changer for me in managing exercise and being able to scan the sensor and check my blood glucose levels, some areas will prescribe it though so ask your DSN.

As I said in my earlier post I would avoid running high for any exercise as I am keen to avoid complications, I have background retinopathy so am being careful about running high as I am keen to reverse it, so avoid going over 12 as much as possible, my health is far more important than anything so managing a strategy to avoid going high is my priority now, speak to your DSN about getting access to a pump, as long as you have done DAFNE then you can be considered for it as its affecting your work.