1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How did the diabetic chilean miner survive?

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by benedict, Oct 14, 2010.

1. benedict

benedict · Well-Known Member
    Administrator

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2010...lean-miners-trapped-underground-92432071.html

Jose Ojeda Vidal, the diabetic chilean miner must have type 2 diabetes presumably.

Let's suppose he actually had type 1 diabetes, would he have been able to survive for over 2 weeks? I know newly diagnosed type 1s can survive for up to months, but that must be partly because they're still producing some insulin.

Jose must have been type 2 otherwise he would've been in serious trouble down there -not to say that be down there with type 2 diabetes would be a walk in the park(!)

I gather that Jose was on his medication through the ordeal. I wonder which medication he was on? And I wonder whether there were any days in which he had no medication?

2. Amanda Hugankiss

Amanda Hugankiss · Well-Known Member

I think I read that they didnt have food for the first 7 days, so I'm guessing nothing else got down there, he wasnt the only one with health problems was he? some had heart problems, and one had silicosis. all needing meds I would have thought.
    The rations were "starvation rations" during this time - I'm not type 1 so - would that have helped?

3. cugila

cugila · Master

As far as I am aware from what I have read in the papers and on the Net, the Miner's were sent supplies of essential food/water/special pills and glucose gel along with any medications they required down a small bore hole that was drilled in the first few days of the rescue effort.
    Mind you its difficult to know who and what to believe as there are many conflicting accounts as to what actually happened after they were trapped. The Telegraph puts it that they got supplies on the 23/08/2010.

So, even if he was a Type 1 I doubt he would have had much difficulty once things started to move apace other than maybe diet requirements and coping with the psychological trauma. Possibly he had some medication with him ? They all seem to have done remarkably well all things considered.

4. anniep

anniep · Well-Known Member

The news link said it was 17 days before the probe found out that they were alive.

5. ZACNEMMA

ZACNEMMA · Well-Known Member

Hi

I don't know this for definite but he must have been type 2.

Emma

6. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Even under the lax laws that allowed the mine disaster in the first place, would an insulin dependent T1 have been down a mine?
    Hana

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook