1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How did your parents take the fact that their little child has diabetes?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Zhnyaka, May 21, 2022.

1. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn't get diabetes until I was an old lady. Back around the time you were diagnosed, my friend was diagnosed and sadly she died blind and with complications when she was a teenager.

• Hug Hug x 8
  2. Zhnyaka

Zhnyaka Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I even know her address, but I don't know how to behave if I go there, and I don't have her phone number :) What should I say? "hello, you saved my life 18 years ago"? It seems to me that a woman of 80-90 years old will not be happy about this

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

This was the reaction when I tracked down Kathleen:
    Dear Grant, It gave me great pleasure to receive your Christmas card and the photograph [me with my wife and daughter]. I have never forgotten you and have often spoken of the night when your mother brought you into the Children's Ward so very ill. I have a ver nice photograph of you sitting up in your cot, laughing at the house physician and myself. I wondered if you would like a copy of it? She sent me two! We exchanged letters until 2011, when sadly she passed away. I'm so glad I wrote.
    Maybe you could send her a card with a recent picture? The worst that could happen is that she throws it away. I would imagine you would get a similar result to mine, and you might make an old lady very happy!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grant_Vicat

"And there's always the other direction: a hospital can choose to send on a note to a retired employee, rather than giving information to a former patient."
    That's exactly what King's College Hospital did, way before GPDR was even dreamt up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zhnyaka

Ours attitude towards people in any government structures is such that it is better to stay away from them if possible:facepalm:
    The letter is a great idea. It's a little weird to use the mail if I can get around my whole city in a few hours, but it's better than an uninvited guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Zhnyaka

Sometimes it's completely unclear to me how I ended up on the British forum and what I'm doing here, even if I don't speak English, but thank you for your attitude and for allowing me to be here! This is a wonderful place, probably the only one where no one talks about the threat of military invasion, political repression, nuclear war and default. Just thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I fully agree with Grant_Vicat, sending a letter is the way to go, everybody loves getting a thank you note!
    I have no idea how you ended up here, but I'm happy you did!
    Besides, even though the forum is based in the UK, it's welcome to people from all over the world, currently we even have 3 non British moderators. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am not from the Uk as well and it is a great forum.
    Welcome on board everyone :)
    have a great day

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was 43 when I was diagnosed but, considering my mother went into deniability mode and kept thinking it was all a mistake or perhaps I should do the 800 calorie diet as a cure, then I dread to think what my childhood would have been like! She was never great with poorly kids and I got sent home from school with mumps (lopsided face), German measles (obvious rash) and multiple vomiting bugs. She was a stay at home mum in the 70s/80s too, but just didn't like sick people near her.

She's another who'll make a sugary dessert and try and push it on you then be hurt when you explain it's going to be 2 more hours until you can even think about trying it.

• Hug Hug x 6
  10. Zhnyaka

UK is even in its name, but somehow I didn't pay attention to it when I registered, and when I noticed, I already liked it too much:hilarious:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m glad you joined us, @Zhnyaka, @Yaya10_10 @EllieM, @Antje77, and all the other non-U.K. people on the forum. I’m glad all T1s feel welcomed here. T1 without borders.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Fully agree!
    Except I'd like to include the T2's and other types as well, I've met so many amazing people of all types on here, so diabetics without borders it is!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The logo at the top of the page says "The global diabetes community" and that is what we are.

• Agree Agree x 8
  14. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe we could add Diabetics Without Borders to the logo. Diabetes sans frontiere.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Zhnyaka

Dear @Grant_Vicat, today I decided to write a letter to my doctor. I bought a postcard, but considering that I know where both the house and the apartment are, but I don't know what the house number is, I had to go to the house itself and look at the address. I even had the courage to ring the doorbell, but no one answered, so I just threw a postcard in the mailbox. I don't know if anyone will answer me, but thank you so much for inspiring me to write a letter.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Grant_Vicat

I'm so pleased. It will be fascinating, and I think highly rewarding, to see how she responds. For some reason I kept all records, cuttings, equipment and correspondence from very early on in my life, almost like a museum. Although we should aim not to let diabetes take over our lives, deep down I am conscious that it had a direct bearing on my philosophy and outlook in life. The longer I live, the more I owe to one hunch of Kathleen's back in 1959. Thus her letters and photographs are very important to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #36 Grant_Vicat, May 28, 2022 at 8:09 PM
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  17. Zhnyaka

This story, unfortunately, ended sadly. I posted a post on social networks that I would like to find my doctor, her neighbors answered me that she died in 2020. Of course, I understood that the person who pulled me out of the other world was not immortal, but still I hoped that I had a couple more years left

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Zhnyaka

Today I reached the cemetery where my doctor is buried.Grave grave, I thought I could find her grave and put flowers, but there are so many graves here that I just got lost. Eh, that feeling when you think you can find a person, but in the end you can't find even the grave:(

• Hug Hug x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook