How do I stop Metformin?

BigPhil 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been doing ok with Low Carb eating and have lost 2.1/2stone , have reduced insulin by 50% and now want to reduce metformin to 1 tablet - preferably to stop completely. Any one have any experience of doing this or any suggestions or advice?
Many thanks in anticipation...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been doing ok with Low Carb eating and have lost 2.1/2stone , have reduced insulin by 50% and now want to reduce metformin to 1 tablet - preferably to stop completely. Any one have any experience of doing this or any suggestions or advice?

Hi big Phil, I see you are on insulin too, I think you are probably best discussing it with your Doctor. Well done so far though!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I reduced and stopped when I felt comfortable. Some would say consult your GP, I would agree for Insulin, but metformin is not in the same league.

Reactions: SimonCrox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi BigPhil 2 - Well done on your progress with your weight and insulin. You must feel great.

Is there a reason why you want to reduce the metformin, as opposed to maybe the potential to tweak your insulin some more?

I'm not suggesting your idea is a bad idea, just wondering what's behind your rationale.

As others have said, tweaking meds, is definitely a chat with the Doc. Metformin is uaually pretty straightforward to reduce, but where you have insulin, and maybe other meds in the mix, it's best to have that chat.

Reactions: Shas3