How do you keep your BGs down when stressed?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
BGs go up under stress but how can it be avoided? Rush hour traffic and work itself are daily, predictable stressors. Does anyone have tips?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i would be looking for ways to deal with the stress, maybe some relaxation techniques etc, best of luck,

keep calm
and
eat fat

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Learn some simple breathing exercises to help keep you calm ; lots of guided relaxation on youtube; listen to whale song( it apparently de-stresses junior ) ; eat lots of food with tryptophan in it.. Turkey comes to mind as one of them if you are a meat eater, or chickpeas and seeds if you are not. Getting enough sleep; exercise; reducing time spent on computer or tv watching in evening so you can unwind for sleep more easily.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really should sleep more, certainly.

I've tried switching from loud, angry music to classical music in the car. And I avoid the news. Those are a good start I think. Otherwise the stress really is all work-related and so can't be changed. :depressed: It'll be high sugars in the day until I retire then... :depressed::depressed:

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Few suggestions -

Definitely keep calm and relaxing music in car or happy cheerful music Abba works for me but would have some peoples BG in double figures :happy:

Can you take a different route to work - don't know where you live but I am commute into one of the worst congested cities in UK. I find that leaving bit earlier means I avoid worst of traffic (leave work earlier too so miss evening rush as bonus) I also don't use the major routes but smaller roads and it takes me half of the time that it would on main roads. Also I find it less stressful if I know I can take an alternative route if an accident or jam occurs - something I can't do if on motorway or ring road :(

Can you change your work environment in any way? If its nasty work colleagues can you wear headphones? nasty boss - I'm sure others will have some great tips :D

Exercise - I find that it really helps keep BG levels down, not talking running a marathon or gym sessions :eek: can you take a walk at lunchtime? I often walk to speak to people rather than sending emails at work. I walk to furthest toilet few floors up (taking stairs of course), always take stairs when I can, offer to fill kettle etc every little helps :angelic: At home I dance around but find I get strange looks at work.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have an extremely stressful job too, i run my own business and its enough to give me a heart attack at times, when i can do this it really works, when things are at their most difficult, i think about the worst things that have happened in my life, the most effective memory is the one of my dad lying dead on his living room carpet lol, then whatever im going through seems not too bad, i still have to deal with it but find i can cope without the panic i was in, im not suggesting and answer to stress is thinking about dead people lol but it could be anything that was a worse situation than that of what your in, and got through, this may be uselss advice but it works for me :)

Reactions: 2 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried most. I even sometimes manage to trick myself into believing that I'm actually driving on holiday - but it only lasts fleetingly. Today I woke with a BG of 6.1, didn't eat breakfast (but ate something at work later on - I'm in at 7.40) but by the time I'd driven in I was measuring 8.0.

I hoped there was some magic trick to getting them down. I'm not really a very stress-y person nowadays but clearly something goes on deep within...!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be that your BG levels are raised by time you get to work because you haven't eaten breakfast and your body has done a liver dump?

There is a thread on dawn phenonemon, have a look on there for some info on how BG can go up in mornings.

Would you be able to eat just a few nuts, bit of cheese or slice of meat in morning before leaving for work?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do similar to Andy12345, I also think about the worse things I have been through which usually helps me put recent stresses into perspective. Often all I have to do nowadays to get rid of stress is ....turn off the PC! Re rush hour traffic, my husband and one of my sons leave home early to give themselves a stress free journey and therefore a higher likelihood of a stress free day. When I was working I did this too. So I avoid any predictable stressors if at all possible. I sometimes do breathing exercises but don't always remember.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello Scimama. I never usually miss breakfast 'til later so my journey to work is after eating - bar that one time - so I don't think it's a liver dump. I have exactly the same rise even if I've had breakfast before leaving which is why I thought it might be the stress of mornings.

Hi Zand. I actually already leave 2 hours early in order to try beating the rush hour traffic and getting parked the other end! :arghh: The good side to that is I leave just before 4pm to get a head start going back and my journey home is much better - but that's not the time of day that I'm trying to sort the dawn phenomenon BG rise of course.

I feel I'm being awfully 'yes, but' about all this! Sorry about that. I don't want to come across all pessimistic as I really appreciate all the suggestions :). I know that I'm doing all I can to minimise stresses where I can and to accept those I can't (not perfectly of course - I would be sickeningly serene if I managed that!:smug:). I don't work Fridays so I'll see if there is a difference then. Perhaps it isn't stress at all - it might just be me and my overly helpful liver.

I'd really like to crack it because of that other phenomenon - the 'That's that day screwed up I might as well give in, eat anything I want and start again tomorrow' phenomenon as recognised by most dieters. I'm not going there now but I have done in the past. There are constant supplies of homemade cake at work so serious opportunity to do so!

Reactions: 2 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I have been watching the DP thread too. It was what inspired me to try getting my bloods down.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I didn't feel you were being 'yes but' at all! You were just explaining your situation more fully. Just keep at it, I'm sure you will crack it in the end.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
In congested traffic just listen to some nice music and look around at all the other drivers getting stressed and think 'just chill out like me, there's nothing to be done about it, we'll get there when we get there'. Although this is a bit of 'do what I say not what I do' advice! I could suggest meditation, but not so good in a car ... (but at other times certainly).

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I find that I get anxious when I have to go for health test. although I don't feel anything. I know it takes me days before I pick up enough courage to go and have this test as it is usually reads high. and then have to face my doctor.
how does one get less worried about going for these tests.
I should have had the test weeks ago. but reading my bg levels. felt it to be to high. I know that I will have to go, but keep putting it off.As I do not want the readings to be high as the last two to three times.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I find that I get anxious when I have to go for health test. although I don't feel anything. I know it takes me days before I pick up enough courage to go and have this test as it is usually reads high. and then have to face my doctor.
how does one get less worried about going for these tests.
I should have had the test weeks ago. but reading my bg levels. felt it to be to high. I know that I will have to go, but keep putting it off.As I do not want the readings to be high as the last two to three times.
It sounds like you are worried you'll be told off. Is that it? Or would you rather not know the results because there's a bit of you in denial and trying to avoid knowing the results? Or both?

Is your doctor scary or are you predicting (s)he is but really it is all fine once you are there?