How do you manage work and diabetes?

ll1000

I have had three to four years hovering on the borderline according to HbA1c results but was finally diagnosed T2 a fortnight ago and was put onto Metformin 500mg (1 /day for first week, and now 2). Had all the nausea symptoms, stomach cramps, diarrhoea etc. very difficult to manage as I have a full time job 45 - 60 mins (depending on traffic) drive from home with no loo stops on route. Until about 11 am I need the loo every 30 - 45 mins, quite embarrasing as I need to pass my line managers office each time. My diabetic nurse said I should have my main meal at lunchtime not in the evening as I have to do now because of work. When I asked how I could manage that with only a half hour break and only a microwave shared with 19 other people all having lunch in the same half hour period, she had no suggestions. I am certain my diabetic nurse thinks all her patients are retired and can spend all day within 5 feet of a bathroom. The dietary advice and suggested menus would involve me spending half every day shopping or preparing the food.
I am hoping the metformin reaction will get better, but I am also on furosemide (for fluid retention) which I am sure has an enhanced effect since the metformin was added.
Anyone any similar experiences and suggestions?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have had diabetes since 97, I've never encountered a problem at work, although I've only worked part time. Did the DSN give any reason that your main meal be at lunchtime?

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I also work full time and when I first started taking metformin I suffered very badly from uncontrolable stomach problems and it was a very quick dash to the loo! I spoke at length to a friend who is a doctor and she advised taking the metformin in the middle of each meal and eating the biggest meal at home in the evening. She also said that if I managed to get my bs level down I might be able to reduce the metformin. I did that and reduced the metformin to 2 x 500 which I take one in the morning and one in the evening (missing out the lunch dose). I have found this much much better and only occasionally have to worry about a loo dash - mostly if I am stressed about something. I cope at work by taking my own lunch in - usually not very exciting but mainly consiting of smoked salmon and salad leaves with lemon juice or cheese / chicken / tuna with the salad leaves. I very low carb at work and finds this also helps.
It took about 8 months to 'sort out' my stomach problems so don't give up hope yet! :D

ll1000

Thanks for your help. The reason for the main meal at lunch time was to give it time to digest. I usually eat about 7 - 7.30 in the evening and then because I need to get up early, I go to bed at 10.30, so not long to digest.
Up till now lunch is usually sandwiches so highish carb, but I'll have to change now. How do you get on with telling work colleagues or manager about the condition or don't you? I know that I shouldn't get a hypo on metformin but I worry I might get a bit low on BS if I go too low carb. So I think I ought to tell someone in case I need help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Work has never been a problem and have always had good employers who would allow me time-off for clinic appointments, often I've had to change my days off or work an hour extra but they have always been flexible as I say.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I don't have a problem with work collegues at all. I didn't tell them at first and only dropped it into the conversation when a birthday cake was doing the rounds. They buy me nuts now! Even the canteen manager was great and offered to make me low carb food but after the first attempt, god love him, when he gave me crackers, cheese, beetroot with grated carrot and grapes, I now always take my own.
I think you might be wise to drop the sandwich at lunch and experiment until you find something that does not affect your stomach so badly.
In the early days for the 'worst case senarios' I used to take immodium - not ideal but it got me through a few sticky situations.
I wouldn't worry about how lowcarb you go - it is quite unusual to feel any hypo effects but keep an eye on things.
Once you get past the initial few months the doctors visits become much fewer - I only have one a year and one eye check so taking the time should not be a problem.
Good luck :D

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could ask your doc for the SR version of Metformin as it can be kinder on the stomach. I find that the more carbs you eat, the worse it affects you. I also found that cutting out wheat stopped my rushes to the loo.

As for lunch at work, I take a salad, very filling. I don't have a problem eating my evening meal around 7.30 pm.

joycey55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bad manners, arrogant folk, road rage drivers, Pasta ,red wine.
I work and i do get tired and shaky after mid morning-my manager very understanding and tells me to eat something.

I believe work whether voluntary or paid takes your mind off things, i have ibs bad to which some mornings i have diarohea so bad i dread setting off for work but by persevering i cope.....not easy bad stomach and diarohea...i wish u well.....

vsturgill

I have problems with it because of working for a temp agency right now with no insurance because of the insurance they offer has a pre existing clause for six months and by the time the contract is up with the company, I hope to be hired on by then so I can start getting the diabetic supplies that I need to monitor my blood sugars.

I shake sometimes which I know has to be because of my blood sugars. I choke sometimes on my food or cough. So when I a around management I try to not do it so as not to concern them about my health.