how do you sleep with a pump?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hiiiiiii,

I was wondering how do people sleep whilst wearing the pump?

I've tried a belly belt, but i kept having to turn it around my body if i wanted to change positions..

I've tried sleeping in tracksuit bottoms and putting it in a pocket.. was fine this way, but i only have two pairs of trackies and would like to have them available for everyday use :lol:

I've tried sleeping with it just in bed not fixed to anything and allowing it to roam free.. this was okay apart from one night getting tangled and i ripped the cannula out, ouchy.

So just looking for some tips?

Please bear in mind i fidget ALOT whilst sleeping :lol:

sugar2

Hi, I am a fidget too. I wear PJs, and sew a baby sock intothe front of my PJ trousers, and put the pump in there...looks a bit like a sporon.

I have to admit, it is not a s exy look...but I have no problems. teh cannula is on my stomach somehwere. If you get stand looking a bit odd, it works a treat!

The only other way i have is to wear a nigthtdress, which has a pocket on it...but wear it inside out. I have never been able to find another night shirt with pocket alas....but again, a baby sock sewed in the stomach are, on the inside of the night short would work a treat...alas, I don't think I am going to be wearing one of those flimsy, satiny nightdresses again! :oops:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
sugar2 said:
Hi, I am a fidget too. I wear PJs, and sew a baby sock intothe front of my PJ trousers, and put the pump in there...looks a bit like a sporon.

I have to admit, it is not a s exy look...but I have no problems. teh cannula is on my stomach somehwere. If you get stand looking a bit odd, it works a treat!

The only other way i have is to wear a nigthtdress, which has a pocket on it...but wear it inside out. I have never been able to find another night shirt with pocket alas....but again, a baby sock sewed in the stomach are, on the inside of the night short would work a treat...alas, I don't think I am going to be wearing one of those flimsy, satiny nightdresses again! :oops:

That is a pretty **** good idea :)

thanks i'll try that one, not sure how good at sewing i am but we'll soon see

Thanks again :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
dylan has a lenny the lion pump case so the pump goes in lenny who is like a teddy bear with a zip in the back and he sleeps fine with him all night no problems and dylan loves lenny :D

anna marie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I permanently wear my pump tucked facing down toward my elbow tucked between two layers of flexi tube. My tubing then comes back up between the flexitubing just goes all the way down my body to my legs. I never have to worry about pulling down trousers or knicks, as pump is always tucked away. Works great if I wear nighclothes or if I don't. I never take it off my arm unless having a bath or shower. I just wash the flexi tubing and change it over to clean ones when I change my cartridge. Pump never gets in way at all dring night or day. I have asked accuchek whether they could devise a pump holder for arms, but they didn't come back with a response.

iHs

My pump comes to bed with me tucked inside the top part of my pants. They are lycra so can keep pump nice and snug. I don't have any trouble whatsoever; wherever I go, the pump comes with me :)

ccoles1

Hi, I sleep in boxers and t shirt. I use the clip that comes with the accuchek combo I run the pump up under my tee shirt and clip it to the inside of neck. I have had no problems with doing it this way.
Chris

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do a mixture of things as, like you, I move about a lot whilst asleep. Normally I wear PJs and clip the pump onto the front of my PJ bottoms right in the center and I tuck the tubing into the bottoms. This way I can toss and turn and the pump is never an issue.

If it's hot I steal a pair of hubby's boxers and just wear these with the pump clipped on the center again.

I also plan to try wearing just my bra one night with the pump clipped on the front middle, which is how I wear it most of the day.

I used to sleep naked most of the time but leaving the pump loose wasn't an option as I move too much and also hubby was terrified of catching it. I do miss that free feeling but it's a small price to pay :)

prin

I have to say I am getting much better I have tried most methods - apart from the sock :) I can now sleep with it running free although I genreally have a strappy t shirt on. I am much more used to it now and the body band which I found awful at first hot sweaty and uncomfortable is now okay - I think its not just having to get used to the pump its getting used to however you pin it down.

Unicornz

ebony321 said:
Hiiiiiii,

I was wondering how do people sleep whilst wearing the pump?

I've tried a belly belt, but i kept having to turn it around my body if i wanted to change positions..

I've tried sleeping in tracksuit bottoms and putting it in a pocket.. was fine this way, but i only have two pairs of trackies and would like to have them available for everyday use :lol:

I've tried sleeping with it just in bed not fixed to anything and allowing it to roam free.. this was okay apart from one night getting tangled and i ripped the cannula out, ouchy.

So just looking for some tips?

Please bear in mind i fidget ALOT whilst sleeping :lol:

Hi Ebony! I always wear a sports bra to bed and pop it in there. I too am a real fidgeter in bed lol but it works a treat for me. Never comes out and when you want to sleep on your side or your tummy you can just move the pump a bit to the side so it's not in the way. Really handy!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like others I just clip it to pj bottoms, I wear pj shorts in summer, longer ones in winter.
When I was first diagonosed they put me on a pump in hospital ( amazingly now I didn't know what it was) They used a what I think was a very small make-up bag pinned to the inside of my nightie.

jopar

My pump allowed to roam over night, well within a 60cm radius :lol:

I did used to clip it to my PJ bottoms to start off with but found no difference to allowing it to roam, mind you it does came in handy sometimes as a pretty good anti-snoring device for hubby, if he starts snoring I do the elbow jab so he rolls onto his side and the put my pump behind him, so if he tries rolling back onto his back, he hits the pump and rolls back on his side... Works a treat

liklejojo

Hi,
Like you all really I tend to clip mine to either my Pj bottoms or if in a nighty i'll clip it to my knickers - :shock: If I don't clip it to anything and let it roam I usually manage to stay on 1 side for a while anyway, at least til I wake up and have to go hunting for the pump :) They should really make more accessories for it...

Cheryl

I've always slept with nothing on so this was a worry at first. I too fidget & also am a very lught sleeper. I just let it lie beside me. I am aware that occasionally I pick it up whilst semi-conscious & roll over with it in my hand. So far, I've never had a problem with this.
I guess that it just becomes second nature after a while.
ps I use 80 cm tubing, this may help too. It also enables me to pop my pump in (or clip it to) my boot under my trousers in winter, keeps it nicely out of sight.

sonicpulsar1

Hi there

For children(or grownups) there is a new company that sell soft cuddly toys that have a secret pocket in their back that holds most insulin pumps at night keeping the the pump close and comfortable and you also know where it is. http://www.pumppets.com
:eek:

glenk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to sleep naked most of the time but leaving the pump loose wasn't an option as I move too much and also hubby was terrified of catching it. I do miss that free feeling but it's a small price to pay :)

For those who like to sleep naked, what works for me is an old sport sock: I cut off the elastic part so I have a 4" tube that I slide over my upper arm. I then remove the belt clip from my pump and tuck the pump right into the sock tube. It stays securely in place, is comfortable there, it doesn't cause problems if I roll over or sleep on my side (or engage in an intimate activity with my wife), and I can continue to sleep in the clothing that I find most comfortable (no clothing at all).

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
The answers simple for me I just put it over my wife's side of the bed if she moves I tell her off

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
For those who like to sleep naked, what works for me is an old sport sock: I cut off the elastic part so I have a 4" tube that I slide over my upper arm. I then remove the belt clip from my pump and tuck the pump right into the sock tube. It stays securely in place, is comfortable there, it doesn't cause problems if I roll over or sleep on my side (or engage in an intimate activity with my wife), and I can continue to sleep in the clothing that I find most comfortable (no clothing at all).

What a great suggestion :)