1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How do you stop Sunburn hurting.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Sparklebrightisright62, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Sparklebrightisright62

Sparklebrightisright62 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi to all,

I went to my daughters today for a pizza party and and i have Sunburn bad on my right knee all pink and swollen and a bit on my left knee and my face neck a bit of my left knee.
    Also been in swimming pool aswell with grandkids which was fun i have put aloe vera gel on not helped.

And to make things worse i have phyiso in the morning what can use to ease the pain dont think iam going to get much sleep.

Sparklebright62.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It is an actual burn, so gentle shower of cool water, a cloth soaked in cool water and keep applying it to calm it down.
    Do not rub as you can take the damaged layer clean off and expose the layers beneath.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

Do you have any sudocreme? I am sure it says this is good for sunburn and it’s a bit thicker than gel probably would stay on all night

4. Sparklebrightisright62

Hertforshire Mum

Thankyou for your Suggestion for Sudocream i now have too white knees feels better than it did will see whats its like in the Morning.
    You are a Star i didnt think of that.
    I still feel really hot this weather is too hot for me.

Thanks again

Sparklebright62.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have used Soov Burn 200m from my pharmacist, but your best bet is to "slip, slop, slap" and use 30 plus sunscreen next time for you and your grandkids.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

No problem, I too have learnt from experience! Glad that’s working better. Yes it’s too hot for me too. Always makes my blood glucose rise, I am struggling today to keep around 10 and have had to take extra insulin twice today, drinking water now and hoping my BG of 13 despite not eating much today will drop by 2 or 3 before I try and sleep!

7. Barry05

Barry05 Type 2 · Active Member

8. Barry05

Barry05 Type 2 · Active Member

Rub a tin of tomatoes into your skin... This is the cheapest and easiest way that sure beats paying out for all those creams and stuff.
    Spanish remedy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

100% aloe lotion is what I use. Avoid the stuff with alcohol. I live on the equator, I’m always getting torched

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aloe is good. If the burn is severe, a zinc oxide cream like Desitin might help.

11. Sparklebrightisright62

Hi to all,

I put aloe vera on last night didnt help just made it warmer irs not hurting now just very pink i will make sure i use suntan cream next time grandkids were fine they had factor 50 on it was just me that is all pink still.
    Thanks for all the info.

Sparklebright62.

12. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The stuff with alcohol can do that. I cover myself with a thick layer, in the dark… I can feel every photon radiating like a thousand suns..

13. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eating a lot of tomatoes might help as they are the main source of lycopene which is thought to give some protection from sunburn. Rubbing tomatoes on the skin doesn't sound like a good idea as tomato juice is an astringent and it would remove natural oils. I have experience of a large tomato being rubbed on someone on a Spanish beach but that was to reduce the pain from a jellyfish sting and it worked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Every year when I go to service the knitting machines at the local University it brings on a heatwave - but I think this year is the hottest yet - the buildings are like ovens.
    The staff areas are not air conditioned, all the student areas are - but it isn't turned on. I can see trouble ahead. They have put up with a lot during a long period of building and refurbishment work, and now they are being roasted.

15. Sparklebrightisright62

Hi to all

Well i have a really sore back and my knees are still pink i have just taken some pain killers or i wont get any sleep i am still hot had a glass full of ice to try to cool down.
    Hate this Hot Weather.I need an Ice Machine.

Sparklebright62

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook