How does an a1c of 5% (or 30s mmol/l) look like?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity and to link my a1c level and my meter readings, members who have their a1c in the range of 5% or 30s mmol/l, what is your normal fasting and postprandial glucose levels ?

My meter readings and my a1c don't match and i mentioned in another post, its certainly due to my being G6PD deficient. I just need to calculate, how much i am off the average.

To start with my BGs fasting are close to 5.5 and stay between 6-7 after food for 2-3 hours returning back to 6. I test with different meters so the reading sound pretty accurate. My own calculation based on these readings was that my a1c will be somewhere in the mid 30s. However, it came back 27 which is not possible by any means.

Thanks for your input.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you asked for a fructosamine test? It's an alternative to the hba1c when an hba1c is not reliable for various reasons.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you go into the 3's at night? This would bring down your average BGs. I often go into the mid 3s at night and late afternoon but bounce back up when my Iiver helps out

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you go into the 3's at night? This would bring down your average BGs. I often go into the mid 3s at night and late afternoon but bounce back up when my Iiver helps out
This can be a cause for a lower hba1c, but with the G6PD deficiency I think this is the more likely cause.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never go below 80, i do test madly even in nights, so that is ruled out. Yes i was thinking of fructosamine test but i read that also depends upon your bilirubin levels? i was reading couple of studies and they say g6pd will lower a1c to about 0.8%. Mine was 4.6% so it should have been 5.4% which makes sense. However another study showed much more deviation. This all depends the level of deficiency and the type of gene, that i don't have any idea and there are not much research done on this. I thought home testing will come to a halt but it seems like its going to stuck with me forever :(. Have anyone of you did fructo test?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find it difficult to arrange a Fructo test. I asked my GP for one a few years ago as my HbA1c is the opposite of yours - it is always unrealistically higher than expected. I was told my surgery does not do them because they are expensive, and very few labs in the UK do them, which means the blood sample has to be sent off to somewhere else in the country. However, it is always worth a try, and there may be private ones available somewhere. I just gave up, and to be honest my HbA1c tests are now simply to satisfy my nurse rather than me. I rely on, and believe, my finger prick testing (and the Libres when I was using them.)

Reactions: finsit