How does change in temp affect you?

A

Anonymous

:( I'm on holiday and it's a bit chilly.... and that means my BGLs get very unpredictable. I had a hypo just before waking time this morning. I just got back to hotel room and had some dinner and 2 hours later I'm feeling very sick and thinking the air con temp setting may be a bit too warm. It doesn't take me long to realise I'm having another hypo... quickly treated. But talk about ruin my evening! I'm still sitting here with a hypo hangover now. :roll: No wonder why I'm so tired all the time with diabetes and all the other stuff I've been contending with. Driving to my destination yesterday was a bit scary too as I was in pain... but I just kept going (in hindsight I probably should have pulled over for a bit).

It appears I react the most when it's cold... and I usually have to lower my basal, which I've already done... but it's hit and miss still.

How does change in temp impact your BGLs?

stuartclose

I'm type 2 insulin dependant and have always had trouble with bg's in the heat, they go upwards -my diabetice nurse after a few years of checking me has decided i am intelorant to heat, and I believe her. Bg's are normally 5 - 7'sh in heat can go up to at least 10.

Just sitting indoors today trying to keep cool.

regards, pauline

Rhinne

I occasionally have trouble with my BG levels when there is a change in temperature.

Colder temps don't really affect me too much, but when it gets very hot my levels tend to drop.

This week has been a bit difficult for me, as it's very hot here in Manchester (makes a change...).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find I have to lower my insulin to compensate for the hot weather......either that or eat more carbs :twisted:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
I have been thinking about this since last tuesday as I had a bad hypo ... :thumbdown:
Like I found out last year when the weather goes warmer my BG's go 'up' so I have cut back
on my insulin units. To prevent a hypo suddenly kicking in !
Woke up middle of last night feeling strange did a test and was dismayed to see 17.7 on my meter!
So its less insulin during the warm/hot day and will try normal dose pre bed time possibly needed?
Its all about balance isnt it .... :!:
Anna.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anna29 said:
Hi all.
I have been thinking about this since last tuesday as I had a bad hypo ... :thumbdown:
Like I found out last year when the weather goes warmer my BG's go 'up' so I have cut back
on my insulin units. To prevent a hypo suddenly kicking in !
Woke up middle of last night feeling strange did a test and was dismayed to see 17.7 on my meter!
So its less insulin during the warm/hot day and will try normal dose pre bed time possibly needed?
Its all about balance isnt it .... :!:
Anna.

Anna, if your bg is going up in the warm weather you need to be taking more insulin not less...or are you getting confused here as you also say you want to prevent a hypo?

A

Anonymous

I know I need more insulin when when it's warmer too. When it's cold I need less... but I still seem to be on a rollercoaster ride. It just seems I get more stable numbers when it's warmer than I do when it's cold. Geez this thing can be frustrating at times. :x After last nights hypo I expected higher FBG this morning and I was right... slightly higher than normal at 5.6. Although the nausea from the hypo was pretty bad last night... dislike! I definitely think temp plays a part in our BGL control... it's hard work. :)

thetallerpaul

In theory extremes of either cold or heat will impact on BG's as your bodies homeostatic mechanisms have to work harder. Its interesting that for some it goes up and others go down though. Just to confuse things even more. So for me its just exercise, illness, temperature and carbs in the meal in front of me I have to take into account when working out my Insulin dose. Hurry up DAFNE I might need some help!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Had the 3yr old granddaughter [whizzing around!] nigel - meant to try to explain yes need to
'prevent' the dreadful hypo's ...
Anna.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anna29 said:
Hi all.
Had the 3yr old granddaughter [whizzing around!] nigel - meant to try to explain yes need to
'prevent' the dreadful hypo's ...
Anna.

I thought you meant a decrease Anna :)

The terrible 3's.....bring back memories! :lol:

Scoop4

I have had problems with my blood sugars dropping during warm weather and I agree it is a roller coaster ride trying to keep sugars at a level you can function. It would help if you could have some warning but British hot weather is so rare and unpredictable. I am unfortunately a woman of a sensitive age so my sugars drop as my temperatures rise and my skin sweats.

A

Anonymous

Scoop4 said:
I have had problems with my blood sugars dropping during warm weather and I agree it is a roller coaster ride trying to keep sugars at a level you can function. It would help if you could have some warning but British hot weather is so rare and unpredictable. I am unfortunately a woman of a sensitive age so my sugars drop as my temperatures rise and my skin sweats.

oh that must be so frustrating Scoop.

It's certainly a balancing act... I know temperature isn't the only factor to consider when managing BGLs. But I thought it was interesting to see how it does affects us. It appears that it's different for everyone. I actually don't feel very well when it's too hot these days... and perhaps that is just my body saying it's stressed, so the BGLs go up. I'm usually one of the few in the office that doesn't complain I'm cold. :lol: I'm looking for a fan and others are looking for a heat pack or something.

Defren

I didn't think the change in temperature was effecting me at all, but I seem to be retaining water in the warmer weather. I actually can't feel it, but the scales say I am. :evil:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 on Metformin and this hot weather is effecting my levels, I am back up to the high 5 and 6's with exercise making me even higher. It's most disconcerting having no control so it must be even worse for those of you on insulin. I wonder if we would eventually become 'acclimatised' if the hot weather lasted for several weeks rather than just days?

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
My BG levels go down in hot weather but I worked out that it's the insulin being absorbed faster than normal as I can then get really high BG before the next meal. I also eat less as I really cannot be bothered eating in hot weather, never mind cooking, so I take less insulin. Luckily, I'm on DAFNE so it isn't much of an issue and I walk the dog later in the evening when it's cooler so that I don't end up hypo in the middle of a field somewhere. :)

A

Anonymous

cymraes said:
Someone please tell me, what is DAFNE :?:

DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) is an educational program for type 1 diabetics... it basically teaches you how to inject insulin for the amount of carbs you're eating for each meal... self management stuff. It originated somewhere in europe... maybe Germany?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cymraes said:
Thank you so much for your reply - I have made a note of it & will ask next time I see my DSN.

Depending where you live they may have their own version of a carb counting course similar to DAFNE.

Sallycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who talk down to me, cruelty of any kind.
I find any sharp change in the weather affects my diabetes. When it's cold I have to lower the basal dose and probably drop a unit with each bolas dose. When it's hot, the reverse is tru and I have to up the dosages. It's a real nuisance as my balance normally takes about 3 days to settle and like you say, you get a 'hypo hangover' that certainly affects me when I'm at work, sometimes making me snappy which means I have to watch myself carefully!