How does LCHF help you lose weight and fat around the liver and pancreas?

charlie000

These questions may seem stupid. But I want a clear understanding so please don’t laugh.

Is LCHF = Low Carb High Fat or Low Calorie High Fat? I assume it’s low carb...

How does low carb but high fat help you lose external (body) and internal weight (around the pancreas and liver)?

Doesn’t fat make you fat? So high fat a bad thing?

Does low carb high fat raise blood glucose?

Reactions: Ponchu

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
An Integrated Understanding of the Rapid Metabolic Benefits of a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet on Hepatic Steatosis in Humans

New details about how a carbohydrate-restricted diet improves metabolism were revealed in a new study which could lead to improved treatments for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD):

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(18)30054-8

Reactions: Krystyna23040

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
"feeding your liver more carbohydrates and less fat encourages the formation of triglycerides, some of which are released into the bloodstream as VLDL (very low-density lipoproteins), the rest of which remain in the liver.Triglycerides are fats, fats are triglycerides.As you eat more “healthy whole grains” and other foods that fit into a low-fat diet, your liver makes more triglycerides, your liver–along with your intestinal tract, pancreas, kidneys, and heart (percardial fat)–accumulates fat, gets larger, increases markers of liver damage like AST and ALT.":

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/03/your-liver-is-fat/

Reactions: Prem51

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
These questions may seem stupid. But I want a clear understanding so please don’t laugh.

Is LCHF = Low Carb High Fat or Low Calorie High Fat? I assume it’s low carb...

How does low carb but high fat help you lose external (body) and internal weight (around the pancreas and liver)?

Doesn’t fat make you fat? So high fat a bad thing?

Does low carb high fat raise blood glucose?
LCHF = Low Carb High Fat
Fat don't make you fat...unless you eat a lot of it.
Fat don't raise your blood glucose at all.

Reactions: Prem51

charlie000

LCHF = Low Carb High Fat
Fat don't make you fat...unless you eat a lot of it.

Could you recommend me a sample LCHF diet? I can’t find one like what we can and can’t eat, recommended meals etc. Just for my understanding

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Could you recommend me a sample LCHF diet? I can’t find one like what we can and can’t eat, recommended meals etc. Just for my understanding
This is a really good place to start, and you don't need to buy a membership to get all the info you need. Have a good look around :) https://www.dietdoctor.com/ and as to what we can and can't eat here are some good examples https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods. Or try www.lowcarbprogram.com They've got many instructional vids and for a once in a lifetime membership fee you get an LCHF online course and mealplan as well. I can recommend it and the price is very reasonable.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Your body cannot convert fats directly into muscle-ready glycogen. However, through a series of metabolic processes that result from conditions of depleted carbohydrates, it is possible for stored fats to be broken down into glucose, which can then be converted into glycogen.

I keep my carb intake to less than 50 gms per day but this is something I have noticed even when I have fasted for 36 hours (skip all 3 meals in a single day) and probably the main cause of my dawn phenomenon. I really have to cut right down on protein from meat as well as dairy to remove DP all together.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Your body cannot convert fats directly into muscle-ready glycogen. However, through a series of metabolic processes that result from conditions of depleted carbohydrates, it is possible for stored fats to be broken down into glucose, which can then be converted into glycogen.

I keep my carb intake to less than 50 gms per day but this is something I have noticed even when I have fasted for 36 hours (skip all 3 meals in a single day) and probably the main cause of my dawn phenomenon. I really have to cut right down on protein from meat as well as dairy to remove DP all together.
Yes, but if you eat some fat, you won't see a rise in your blood sugar an hour later like you do with carbs.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Yes, but if you eat some fat, you won't see a rise in your blood sugar an hour later like you do with carbs.

When I've had no problems with DP and I've eaten 2 fried eggs in the morning, my BG goes up almost straight away (FS Libre). That could be the protein I suppose but full fat yogurt will cause a blip as well. It's been a while since I've used the Libre, I'm starting another one today, see how it goes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to eat some carbs first thing to stop my BG continuing to rise (I have SUCH a HELPFUL liver - NOT)
I eat about 1/4 of my carbs at breakfast time, then go all day and eat in the evening. That is just what works - so I go with it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Noting that the "glyc" in triglycerides can be broken down in several steps to form glucose.

Your body does need some glucose (your Blood Glucose should stay above 4 mmol/L or you have a hypo) and will manufacture it even if you eat zero carbs. If you are water fasting then you use fats for energy and (I think) glucose.

There is some fancy footwork because it is easier to break protein down to give glucose than to break fat down but if you are on a water fast the body should try to preserve protein at the expense of fat.

Fasting is a natural part of the annual cycle of summer plenty and winter lack. One issue that we have in modern society is that summer foods are now available all the year round so we don't go through a diet change between summer and winter.

We don't starve to death over winter any more, quite the opposite, but my view is that our bodies have not evolved to work efficiently with the modern diet and so we can have metabolic problems if we have a genetic susceptibility.