How does monitor reading compare to Hba1c result

Majii

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hospital Hba1c is 51 how does this convert to my home monitor readings which were 11.9?
Can we get a home monitor that gives results in same format as hospital test?
I know both readings are too high but I don’t know how to compare them or present them in similar format
Thanks for any replies
Majella

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The simple answer is no. The Hba1c is, crudely, a measure of the average level of glucose in your blood over a period of approximately 12 weeks. The home reading is a spot reading, it is the blood glucose level at that instant. Blood glucose levels change comparatively quickly so if you take it again in, say, an hour it will be different but the Hba1c will not have changed at all. Sorry but you are, to an extent, trying to compare apples and pears.

Best to use your meter to sort out what foods work for you which will lower the readings you take and ultimately your Hba1c.

Loads of advice on diet

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Majji
The HbA1c is a clever test that works out your average blood sugar over the previous three months and is measured in mmols/mol. Your finger prick tests are a snap shot of your blood sugar at the moment of testing and is measured in mmols/L, so it is really difficult to make direct comparisons. However I put all my finger prick readings into an app called MySugr. After you have input enough readings it will estimate your HbA1c. I emphasise it is an estimate and I have seen it be up to 4 lower than my lab HbA1c, but it is good for watching trends. Hope that helps :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My hospital Hba1c is 51 how does this convert to my home monitor readings which were 11.9?
Can we get a home monitor that gives results in same format as hospital test?
I know both readings are too high but I don’t know how to compare them or present them in similar format
Thanks for any replies
Majella

Hi Majii,
They are measuring 2 completely different things- just concentrate on getting the home fingerprick Blood Glucose readings within the ideal ranges for before and then 2hrs after (first bite of) meals. That is the thing you can directly control and if you do that then the next HbA1C reading will improve - perhaps even to the 'normal range'.

I would be concerned at a reading 2hrs after first bite of a meal of 11.9, but an HbA1C of 51 is only just in the diabetic as opposed to 'pre-diabetic' range. So if you eliminate the spikes from high carb meals you should be in great shape!

Majii

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The simple answer is no. The Hba1c is, crudely, a measure of the average level of glucose in your blood over a period of approximately 12 weeks. The home reading is a spot reading, it is the blood glucose level at that instant. Blood glucose levels change comparatively quickly so if you take it again in, say, an hour it will be different but the Hba1c will not have changed at all. Sorry but you are, to an extent, trying to compare apples and pears.

Best to use your meter to sort out what foods work for you which will lower the readings you take and ultimately your Hba1c.

Loads of advice on diet

Thanks for your reply
I am struggling with diet as a lot of meat alternatives I use are essentially carbs (I don’t like tofu but am experimenting)

Majii

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Majii,
They are measuring 2 completely different things- just concentrate on getting the home fingerprick Blood Glucose readings within the ideal ranges for before and then 2hrs after (first bite of) meals. That is the thing you can directly control and if you do that then the next HbA1C reading will improve - perhaps even to the 'normal range'.

I would be concerned at a reading 2hrs after first bite of a meal of 11.9, but an HbA1C of 51 is only just in the diabetic as opposed to 'pre-diabetic' range. So if you eliminate the spikes from high carb meals you should be in great shape!

Hi
Thanks for your reply
I am struggling with diet as a lot of my food (meat free alternatives) is carb based and finding alternatives I like to switch to is difficult
I really need to take control (easy said)

Majii

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Majji
The HbA1c is a clever test that works out your average blood sugar over the previous three months and is measured in mmols/mol. Your finger prick tests are a snap shot of your blood sugar at the moment of testing and is measured in mmols/L, so it is really difficult to make direct comparisons. However I put all my finger prick readings into an app called MySugr. After you have input enough readings it will estimate your HbA1c. I emphasise it is an estimate and I have seen it be up to 4 lower than my lab HbA1c, but it is good for watching trends. Hope that helps :)

Thanks will look at my sugar app