1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How does your partner cope with your T1?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by robotears, Mar 25, 2015.

1. robotears

robotears Type 1 · Member

Hi
    Diagnosed last July at age 41 it's been ups and downs. I'm lucky I'm that I have a partner who's come to understand the T1 and supported me through learning to cope thus far. The main problem I have is that the bad temper that is part of a hypo makes me unwilling to listen to her trying to get me to realise it's happening and until it gets soooo bad the penny drops with me I will not cooperate. So far so ordinary it would seem from what I've read on here and elsewhere.
    My question is has anyone worked out a way of gently (or otherwise!) for the partner to steer the T1 to recognise the hypo without it causing further grief? For me it's such a trigger and I just can't seem to stop being awful...it makes me think of a signal / programming situation but your experiences are welcome.

2. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

I'm not sure of a solution for this one other than maybe testing more often to avoid hypos! From experience I know that diabetes effects are moods in general, bit it high sugars, low or just the general difference in the balance of hormones compared to a non diabetic.

I'm actually extremely grateful to have my husband , and still have my husband. I can be so moody and miserable at times and I think me as a diabetic can be quite an unpleasant person to be with!

He would probably advise others not to be with a diabetic!!

I know from seeing my dad who is also type 1 that he is similar and doesn't tend to react very well when his partner tells him to test his blood because she thinks he is low.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I don't have a partner but with my teen, she know because I look different and can be a bit weird, grumpy and childish, but not aggressive or nasty. Once during a hypo I refused to have the 'food', jam I think she giving me and I was stamping my feet like a child and she made me listen to her, like she was 'the mum' and in charge, so to speak. It's probably a lot to do with our personalities as well. Good luck

Best wishes RRB

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook