How effective is Metformin

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
How effective is Metformin at lowering BG?
I have recently kicked myself into touch and my recent HbA1c was 39mmol/mol, so quite pleased with that result. This was achieved through diet and exercise. I also lost a stone in weight and my BMI is now 27 instead of 30.
I already take 2,000 Metformin sr and sitigliptin. But would eventually like to ditch the tablets when I am under better control.
I don't really think that the meds have made much difference to my levels, as I seem to get better results through diet and exercise.
Has anyone ditched the meds and had good results?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Forgot to add that my HbA1c has gone down from 61mmol/mol to 39mmol/mol. In old money that's 7.7 down to 5.7
I've achieved this in 3 months with diet and exercise.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed that Metformin did not appear to be doing much regarding my blood sugar levels so I asked to stop taking them for three months. I didn't notice the difference to be honest but the doctor got a bit wound up when she found out. The HCP's are very insistent that you take them but give vague future benefits as to why that is.

At the moment I am awaiting my test results after six months off all medication and according to my finger prick tests during that time I am expecting an acceptably low Hba1c.

mcdonagh47

Metformin is pretty effective in Type 2 Diabetes.

The research showed something like these figures .. ( from memory)

500 dose a gain of 0.2 in A1c
1000 dose a gain of 0.5

1500 a gain of 1.0

2000 a gain of 1.2

doses of 2500 doesn't show much improvement on 2000 so it is usually said the minimum effective dose is 1500-2000 and people titrate up to that through 500 and 1000 to lessen initial gastrointestinal effects.

If your A1c is 5.7 with metformin it would presumably be 6.9 without it. And of course the Sitagliptin is also having a reducing effect.

Its probably not a good idea for T2s to think of giving up metformin because it has important heart protection functions ( heart disease being the main threat to T2s) and also helps weight loss because it suppresses appetite.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is at it's best when you have insulin resistance due to excess weight. It does help a bit for all diabetics but not a lot. Health professionals like to keep all their patients on it regardless e.g. I'm on full dose but on insulin and never been overweight in my life. I'm happy to stay on it as it causes me no side effects and does appear to have some benefits for the heart and cancer with no obvious downside as opposed to statins which can have serious and fairly common side effects

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Squire Fulwood said:
I noticed that Metformin did not appear to be doing much regarding my blood sugar levels so I asked to stop taking them for three months. I didn't notice the difference to be honest but the doctor got a bit wound up when she found out. The HCP's are very insistent that you take them but give vague future benefits as to why that is.

At the moment I am awaiting my test results after six months off all medication and according to my finger prick tests during that time I am expecting an acceptably low Hba1c.
I'd be interested to know the results. Please remember to post back.

L

Luna21

I'm very interested in all your views on metformin.

For some reason my DN hasn't put me on metformin, though the Diabetes nurses at the local hospital admitted that they almost universally prescribe it for new T2 patients.
I have managed to get my BS down quite considerably through diet and exercise alone, but I'm finding it really difficult to maintain the strict diet and moderately low carb diet I'm currently following. I have health conditions which make me more susceptible to heart problems, so I am willing to take metformin if it helps in that area.

I rarely splurge on anything in the least 'naughty', as my BS goes up so quickly, so I'm wondering if actually taking metformin might help me in enjoying a slightly less strict diet. I can only drink very, very occasionally and only the odd glass of wine due to medication I take, so to be on a strict food regime too is very hard. You have to have a little treat now and again, don't you? :?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cocacola said:
I'd be interested to know the results. Please remember to post back.

I have the results. Hba1c =43 after six months without any pills and drinking wine and generally being a bad person.

JennyP

Metformin has done nothing for me at all. I was put onto Metformin when pre diabetic and insulin Resistant. Changed my diet to low carb and lost weight. Two years later - BGL are worsening. It is a bit depressing and I wonder why I need to keep taking it ?