How food can improve your mental health

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39976706

The TV program can be viewed here ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rzs35

It seems that high carb food causes mood changes. As the sugar high subsides the body gets stressed an produces cortisol and adrenaline. This can have an effect on your mode causing anger and anxiety.

It seems that a the kind of diets we are using to control diabetes are also useful for the general public to improve their mental health.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that a the kind of diets we are using to control diabetes are also useful for the general public to improve their mental health.

Well I certainly feel a lot more positive and energised since going low carb.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched the BBC TV program. There was the case of a man who has suffered for 20 years from severe lack of sleep, night sweats and general tiredness. His doctor has no idea of what the problem was. It turned out that he needed some vitamin B supplements, especially B12.

I mentioned to my diabetes nurse that I was taking B12 vitamins as a lack of B12 can give symptoms of neuropathy and Metformin can cause a B12 deficiency. If people taking Metformin are experiencing lethargy, it could be B12 deficiency

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can honestly say up until I was diagnosed I never suffered with depression even through the disappointment of ivf not working. The high sugar was keeping me high.
Once I started reducing that sugar fuelled high I became depressed and anxious. In fact hypos made me very unsure of things and what support I had around me. They knocked my confidence when they occured.
I'd had sugar fuelled highs most of my life. I had symptoms at 6yr old.
Controlled sugar improved my concentration and observation skills when I lost 5st at school. I never experienced a hypo at school. Just hypers, as I'm aware of them now. I wasn't diagnosed til I was 32yrs old due to exercising heavily and fasting and my make shift very low carlorie diets.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can honestly say up until I was diagnosed I never suffered with depression even through the disappointment of ivf not working. The high sugar was keeping me high.
Once I started reducing that sugar fuelled high I became depressed and anxious. In fact hypos made me very unsure of things and what support I had around me. They knocked my confidence when they occured.
I'd had sugar fuelled highs most of my life. I had symptoms at 6yr old.
Controlled sugar improved my concentration and observation skills when I lost 5st at school. I never experienced a hypo at school. Just hypers, as I'm aware of them now. I wasn't diagnosed til I was 32yrs old due to exercising heavily and fasting and my make shift very low carlorie diets.
I do wonder if the massive change I made in diet when diagnosed contributed to the anxiety I've had over the last couple of weeks. I've never had any mental health problems in the past - and whilst I was always at high risk as a carer who was also working a lot too - this has been a bolt from the blue.