1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How Health Professionals Speak To People With Diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by hh1, Jun 15, 2018.

1. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

3. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"People who are ashamed of a condition will find it much harder to engage and manage that condition proactively.”
    Amen.
    One doc asked me if I hadn't been pigging myself, and a nurse asked me why I'd gained the 35kgs I'd lost previously in a rather condescending manner. I told her that if I knew that I'd be very rich.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phoenix55

Phoenix55 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Please note all the links mentioning low carb down the side. Perhaps the medical community is finally being pointed in a direction that will work for more type 2 people. It is also interesting the link with language. It was the language used by my DN that really got my back up so that I was determined to 'show her' that I could do something about borderline diabetes without drugs. Perhaps if she had been more empathetic I would have just fallen in line and taken the pills and carried on eating the Eatwell plate!

• Like Like x 2
  5. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is the medics who make people feel shame. And the TV medics and media reporting of medics which also induce shame.

You dont get a cold and get shamed. Their whole language, for a decade, has been one of blame and shame. Its disgusting and unfair.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook