how high and how low have you been?

the.candy.man

After 2 years of failing to controll by any measure, and after being given conflicting advice and storys by everybody on the matter, i am curious as to actual diabetics experiences, and not that all too farmiliar line of "oh, well my aunts hairdressers friend says that..." or something similar.

my questions are,

what is your highest known level?
&
what is your lowest known level?

also, how high have you been without feeling symptoms, and how low have you been and still been able to function.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My highest known level was 20. that was 10 years ago in hospital following a stroke and foolishly allowing them to manage my diabetes. It's not been above 7 for several years. My lowest is 2.9. I don't use any medication that could cause a real hypo.
since I keep tight control, I have no real experience of whqat either very high or very low blood glucose feels like. I can tell if I drop to 3.5 that I'm hungry. that's about it
Hana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My highest was around 23 a few weeks back. My lowest was something like 4 a good few years ago. I had no symptoms at either the high or low point.

karen13

Just started testing a week ago , lowest this morning 5.9 highest today after breakfast of 2 slices wholemeal toast 22.9 , getting fed up of this, food controlles for 1 year no meds ..... and numbers usually around 14 -17. Generally feel ok apart from dry mouth and drinking lots and the biggest thing is insomnia ...... it drives nme crazy.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Highest 32 after beer and food a few years ago. Lowest, must have been about 1 when I had a fit when first diagnosed. I've been at 1.4 and still concious. Just.

I've had bouts of hypo unaware where I've been at 2.5 without feeling it.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
The highest I ever remember being was 22, I had been to the drs for a hba1c and he called me later that day asking if I was ok! The lowest was 1.4 and I had no hypo symptoms.

Stuarty

Hard to remember my highest but it's certainly between 25-29.

My lowest was 1.7 and ended up getting rushed to hospital, I was barely conscious and my mum found me in a pool of sweat. I can't remember a thing about it but apparently I was abusive/violent towards the paramedics who came to treat me and they were going to just leave me because "they don't have to treat abusive or violent patients". My mum said, "well you can't just leave him there!". So they strapped me into a chair and put me into the ambulance. I just remember waking up/coming round in a hospital bed.

Strangely enough the other week I had a reading of 1.9 and didn't really feel the effects coming on! I felt pretty good to be honest, just sitting at the computer having a beer. Very strange

Pogo069

Not sure on highest ... High 20's but probably higher when I was first diagnosed.

Lowest (according to the paramedic who spoke to the doc as he wheeled me into A&E) was 0.9 - not a great night!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

My highest to date was 22, the day the GP told me I was diabetic, and my lowest was yesterday, I started feeling funny so decided to test my blood & it was 4.1. Fasting & pre meals is normally between 5.5-7.8. I was only diagnosed in October

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The highest I've been in 33. Got diagnosed on 28. And the lowest was whilst i was in hospital anyway on a infusion of dextrose that had stopped working it went to 1.1 was shocked that I was still awake!

carb-counting-mum

My daughter was only diagnosed in December, but so far her highest has been 30, at diagnosis (by paramedic). Lowest so far: 1.9, she was walking around just fine, said she just felt 'a little shaky'.
She has also been 17.4, before plummeting right down to 2.3 within 45 minutes, after racing around with her friends.
She doesn't always feel her hypos. She might feel shaky at 4.5, but she has been unaware at 2.5.

pickledpepper2

Good question OP!

Looked at my food diary, which I've been using on and off since 2010.

Highest was 13.6 1 hour after eating bran flakes just after first diagnosis (2010). Lowest seems to a 3.9 after fasting.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
My highest tested was 34 (didn't feel any different to 20) My lowest tested was 1.9. Pre-insulin, I never felt much difference when high, but now know about it if goes into double figures. I start to feel c**p when I go below 3.3

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
One incident of passing out with a hypo and by the time the paramedic arrived in work (some 15 mins later) my BS was still only just over 3 so must have been extremely low.
Whilst on injections - highest 19.4 due to too much beer and lowest 1.9. Very sweaty and shaky but still able to treat the hypo myself..
After fitting a pump over a year ago - highest 16.5 (illness and stress induced) and lowest 2.9 Don't really feel low at 2.9 now so a bit worrying so have to test regularly.

Kerry-Michelle

Hi all...

My highest reading has been "HI" on my meter which I was told is over 35... And I didn't even have any symptoms and my lowest I've been is "1.2" and I awoke in the middle of the night feeling hot and sweaty also I could walk properly and was realy shakey but still sorted myself out..

Kerry xx

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 32.1 last night (another trip to A&E), lowest ive been was 1.2 during pregnancy fell asleep mid afternoon and didnt eat as planned, didnt feel any symptoms till i checked then hit me instantly barely able to stand etc.

MissFortune

My highest was 27 post hospital when I was ill with a fever and using insulin but I expect it was much higher when first diagnosed.
The lowest i've seen on my meter was 2.7 a couple of years ago.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My highest was 25 and the lowest 1.9 but still able to sort it out. I can feel someting is wrong at 4