how long after eating does blood sugar peak

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had a curry for tea, I tested my blood and it was 15.

how long after eating does blood sugar peak?

And how long will it take to return to normal?

I am newly diagnosed so just looking for information

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i believe it depends on what you ate but i also believe 45 minutes is a general peak, then 2 hours is how well your body has dealt with it, if i eat 2 slices of toast my numbers are way high all that day and even into the next, dont know why though

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Andy is correct. Certain foods peak at different times according to their GI. Ideally, you hope to get your BG levels down to pre-meal levels after approx 2 hours. Different people react differently to different foods also.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Appears so, I checked my blood sugar this morning and it was 8.2 so still above the 4-7 range. But at least it's gone down.

Only been diagnosed a week or so. The tablets seem to be having some effect at least.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find Basmati rice is better for my bs if I have rice. I usually put chickpeas in the curry instead, along with cauli an/or broccoli.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This graph shows glycaemic response curves in an otherwise healthy individual for three foodstuffs:
images

You might find a couple of the tables or graphs in this publication interesting:

Glycemic index, postprandial glycemia, and the shape of the curve in healthy subjects: analysis of a database of more than 1000 foods

Last edited by a moderator:

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a chicken birani with brown rice and a naan. Not so keen on chickpeas but could try spinach instead I guess.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I've found the same, Andy, but I thought it was just me: One day's lapse (a beer or two or a couple of slices of toast) can raise every reading of BG I take for the next 36 hrs.

helps keep you on the straight and narrow though huh :) if i eat those kinda things it does such long term damage i figure it just isnt worth it

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've just had the Xmas left over turkey Jalfrezi.

I used a dry packet mix for the spices, (usually I make them from scratch, jar mixes tend to have sugar in them, but dry mixes are often ok), a tin of tomatoes, the left over leek, the dog ends of some peppers, a couple of onions, and other leftovers from the vegetable rack - kale, French beans, sugarsnap peas and mange toute, a bit of broccoli, and of course the left over turkey.
The mix was a bit harsh, so it needed the edge taking off with a bit of cream. Normally I wouldn't, or I'd use low fat creme fraiche.
No rice or any extras.
Diet fizzy shandy with it. (Morrisons do one that doesn't taste too bad)

6.9 before the meal, and 7.8 about half an hour after eating.
I have to be honest, I'm probably about 1 to 1.5 higher than I am normally, but I'm eating and drinking more this week, and the odd mince pie hasn't helped. I'm also working less, and sitting around more.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
2 hours and washing the car later, down to 6.

So the two hours seems about right for me.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I guess given that I am new to the game as it were I am still learning. I will only find out by trying different things.

My BG was 8.2 when and I got 4.8 at lunch. The drugs seem to be working as my avg for the day when I started was 17

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
all foods are different such as jams and syrups are very high in sugars and stay in your blood for very extended time periods and peanuts are reasonably low but offer slow release of carbs into the blood I've always found and practiced testing an hour after eating as a standard but a further test maybe necessary with certain food types although jams and syrups should be avoided as a rule

mpe

This graph shows glycaemic response curves in an otherwise healthy individual for three foodstuffs:
images

You might find a couple of the tables or graphs in this publication interesting:

Glycemic index, postprandial glycemia, and the shape of the curve in healthy subjects: analysis of a database of more than 1000 foods

Even amongst non diabetics people's responses can vary. Published figures generally take an "average" of all the people in a study. Datasets may well be the results of several studies. There have also been cases where the "same food" tested in different places has yielded different results. (Either due to the people or the food itself).

The only way to find out what applies to you is to test. But don't be too surprised if a "low GI" food turns out the be high GI for you (even vice-versa).

Reactions: coleyd

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have just had a curry for tea, I tested my blood and it was 15.

how long after eating does blood sugar peak?

And how long will it take to return to normal?

I am newly diagnosed so just looking for information

I believe that the peak off blood glucose is 75 minutes after commencing a meal and it should drop back down about an hour after that.
hana

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even amongst non diabetics people's responses can vary. Published figures generally take an "average" of all the people in a study.

Well results are usually within 95% confidence intervals so averaging isn't that much of a factor. All results are based on statistical likelihood. The biggest factor determining variation of results is the quality of the sample set. These vary tremendously even within a relatively small geographic area such as the British Isles. For example, whilst the single polymorphism 13910C/T transition ranges roughly from a frequency of 90% in northern europe to some regions of less than 10% in southern europe, the cline is still evident within the British Isles, ranging from 73%–95%. Those who have the 13910 C variant, do not produce the enzyme lactase in adulthood required to digest the carbohydrate in milk, lactose. Those who produce the 13910 T variant continue to produce lactase and are therefore able to drink milk in adulthood.

The Wellcome Trust have been testing the british population since about 2005 to identify clusters. This map produced by the Royal Society shows how a 'colour coded basket' of 600,000 informative genes varies depending on geographic region.

14902_genetic_map.jpg

You simply cannot assume that what is true for someone in Cornwall must be true for someone in Devon.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know why i always stumble upon these old posts, but i would like this to be updated unless there is a new post on the same topic? I have been testing vigorously past few weeks and my BG are normal after 1 hr or rather unchanged. I get peak at 2 hrs. I am on a low carb diet Dr. Bernstein formula 6+12+12 and maybe that's the reason of this slow peak, or probably the protein part of it? However when i eat meat, i peak at 2 hrs then 3 hrs and then it start going down after that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However when i eat meat, i peak at 2 hrs then 3 hrs and then it start going down after that.
You just eat meat or other stuff along with it?
T1 or T2 ...can make a fair bit of difference.
I'm guessing you are using the forum search function.. which is great but can often bring up old threads..