How long can I use my Tresiba pen for?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN told me that Tresiba will last for 30 days out of the fridge, but my pharmacist and the Tresiba website says up to eight weeks. I’m only on a tiny bit of basal, so it seems so wasteful to dispose of a half full pen, but obviously I don’t want to continue to use it past 30 days if it’s gone off. How long does everybody else use theirs for?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Go by what the manufacturer says, unless you get unexplainable high bg. Then by all means see if using a new pen helps. Rule of thumb is 30 days for all insulins, but it might be very well different for this one and likely your DSN doesn't know.

Reactions: Sirzy

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Sirzy, In the packet with your insulin is a pamphlet which usually will state states that insulin (such as in your pens) should be stored at between 2 and 8 degrees C. There will be an expiry date on that insulin also.
The pen and insulin that one is using, that is, out of the fridge is usually quoted as being active if kept above zero degrees and less than 30 degrees C for up to 28 days.
EDIT> on further examination it appears that Tresiba is active for 8 weeks if kept outside the fridge for the above stated temperature ranges. My apologies for the error above.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sirzy, In the packet with your insulin is a pamphlet which usually will state states that insulin (such as in your pens) should be stored at between 2 and 8 degrees C. There will be an expiry date on that insulin also.
The pen and insulin that one is using, that is, out of the fridge is usually quoted as being active if kept above zero degrees and less than 30 degrees C for up to 28 days.
That's what the DN said. But the manufacturer seems to say something else. Why not believe the manufacturer?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That's what the DN said. But the manufacturer seems to say something else. Why not believe the manufacturer?
Thank you @Antje77, looking up Tresiba storage, it states that it will last up to 8 weeks out of the fridge if kept > 0 degrees and less than 30 degrees C. MY apologies.

Reactions: Antje77

Honeyend

I had this conversation the other day. The standard response is 28 days, I suppose that's because its a safe to assume that most pens will be safe up to the date, and most NHS Trusts stick to that and its in their protocol's, and DN's use several types of insulin.