How long does it normally take for Novorapid to kick in?

leesmall1970

Hi,

I have been having some problems with Novorapid and how long it takes to kick in. I did an experiment this morning. At 8am my blood sugar levels were at 7.8 and I took 38 units of Novorapid. I didn't eat anything and monitored my sugar levels. They didn't start to decrease until just after 12pm.

Also that amount of Novorapid I have to take has increased form 11 units in July last year to 38 units now and I also use Toujeo which has increased from 50 to 70 units.

Any ideas? Has anybody else experienced this? I have also tried injecting into my legs rather than my stomach to see if that changes anything but it makes no difference.

Thanks

Lee

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For some Novorapid does seem particularly sluggish, I know on my libre I could see a sudden drop in my sugar level after about 4-5 hours no matter what time of day it was, though it could be worse in the morning though due to dawn phenomenon/foot on the floor.

Though do note is it only with your current pen/cartridge/vial that this is happening with, or many, if its only this one pen/cartridge/vial, change it, it might just be a dodgy one.

Mine was over many many pens, I got changed to Fiasp which for me works a lot lot faster

leesmall1970

For some Novorapid does seem particularly sluggish, I know on my libre I could see a sudden drop in my sugar level after about 4-5 hours no matter what time of day it was, though it could be worse in the morning though due to dawn phenomenon/foot on the floor.

Though do note is it only with your current pen/cartridge/vial that this is happening with, or many, if its only this one pen/cartridge/vial, change it, it might just be a dodgy one.

Mine was over many many pens, I got changed to Fiasp which for me works a lot lot faster

Hi, thanks for the reply. No it's over multiple pens and boxes of pens. I have been referred to a diabetic nurse at the hospital and I have a telephone appointment next month so I will ask them about Fiasp.

Thanks

Lee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been having some problems with Novorapid and how long it takes to kick in. I did an experiment this morning. At 8am my blood sugar levels were at 7.8 and I took 38 units of Novorapid. I didn't eat anything and monitored my sugar levels. They didn't start to decrease until just after 12pm.

Also that amount of Novorapid I have to take has increased form 11 units in July last year to 38 units now and I also use Toujeo which has increased from 50 to 70 units.

Any ideas? Has anybody else experienced this? I have also tried injecting into my legs rather than my stomach to see if that changes anything but it makes no difference.

Thanks

Lee

Hi,

With a correction dose. i can see a flattening of the peak on my BG in an hour with Novorapid. But that is also pending on the injection site picked?
Bolusing, when i get it right. it will soften the rise & keep within a 2.5mmol plateau? However it can have a little lick in the tail over 4 hours later dropping me, if i'm not careful..

To be fair, i could also hinge on how insulin resistant one might be...?

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@leesmall1970 I ind the morning is not the best time to test the speed of insulin as I experience insulin resistance and foot on the floor.
Are you sure the slowness was not affected by your blood sugars going up naturally because of foot on the floor?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
On paper novo rapid starts to take effect after about 15 minutes with a peak at about 55 to 70 minutes tailing off to a finish between 4 to 5 hours

Now having said that every body is different.. And the fact that you are having a lot of units indicates insulin resistance? So maybe this is having an effect..

Odd thing my dad was having issues he has always had his injections in the belly having upto 100 units with breakfast

He has just started injecting in thighs and arms and finding it much more effective. He's down to less than 20 units and it's working faster

leesmall1970

@leesmall1970 I ind the morning is not the best time to test the speed of insulin as I experience insulin resistance and foot on the floor.
Are you sure the slowness was not affected by your blood sugars going up naturally because of foot on the floor?

Hi,
I have started to keep a diary of what I hsve

Hi, yes I can see this is happening throughout the day and not just in the morning. Even after exercise (2-3 mile walk) it still takes hours for there to be any change.

leesmall1970

On paper novo rapid starts to take effect after about 15 minutes with a peak at about 55 to 70 minutes tailing off to a finish between 4 to 5 hours

Now having said that every body is different.. And the fact that you are having a lot of units indicates insulin resistance? So maybe this is having an effect..

Odd thing my dad was having issues he has always had his injections in the belly having upto 100 units with breakfast

He has just started injecting in thighs and arms and finding it much more effective. He's down to less than 20 units and it's working faster

Hi, I have tried injecting in my thigh but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I think I must be really resistant to insulin....