How long does it take to lower bg from a high..

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Had a nasty hypo in the night at 1.7 corrected and checked an hour later an was still low at 2.6 at 1am so ate pretfy much everything i could find thinking i only had 20-30 carbs..

Now fast forward to the morning i wake up at 9am at 23.2 so do a correction of 6 + 8 for breakfast.

I have check occasionally and its gone down to just 14.8 in two hours 15 mins.. And i still haven't eaten

How long does it take for bg to lower for you all?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fast-acting insulins like Novorapid are active in the body for up to 4-5 hours, at the 2 hour mark I think 60-70% of the insulin has been used up so it's always better to be cautious when considering another correction dose.

If I'm high (below 14) I just do a correction dose and go for a walk which speeds up the rate in which the insulin is absorbed, but heat can also speed up the rate in which insulin is absorbed as heat draws more blood to the surface of the skin, that is why they advise insulin users to be careful when having a hot bath/shower soon after injecting.

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Had a nasty hypo in the night at 1.7 corrected and checked an hour later an was still low at 2.6 at 1am so ate pretfy much everything i could find thinking i only had 20-30 carbs..

Now fast forward to the morning i wake up at 9am at 23.2 so do a correction of 6 + 8 for breakfast.

I have check occasionally and its gone down to just 14.8 in two hours 15 mins.. And i still haven't eaten

How long does it take for bg to lower for you all?
mine was 10.1 before b/fast then it dropped to 9.3 I had a walk down town now it usually drops to 6.o but when I got home today it was 10.5 ? 1hour ago it down to 7.3 basically I blamed my doctor yesterday, I asked him when your BG is high,do you increase the insulin or lower it,the doctor said reduce it which I did. had a rotten head acre, so before dinner I increased insulin took a good hour the headacres gone and I feel great.