How long to people take Metformin for

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can Metformin and other diabetes medication be taken forever, so to speak, or does everyone eventually end up on insulin (injections)?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I understand, Metformin can be taken forever, but as Diabetes is a progressive disease it's possible that more medication and/or insulin may eventually need to be added to the regime.
For example, I started on Metformin 15 months ago, but have just had dapagliflozin added because my blood sugar is not fully controlled with just metformin alone. But the next person may be on metformin for many many years with no need for additional medication. Everyone is different.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be progressive if the pancreas deteriorates, but doesn't have to be if you keep tight control and your pancreas works reasonably well. Everyone is different, much also depends on how long you had uncontrolled high BS before diagnosis and how much damage was done to the pancreas. I'm not on any medication and hope to keep it that way with diet.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on it for 10 months, lost a ton of weight and LCHF diet .. Now the DBN has stopped them .. So it's diffrent for everyone .. Even had my stains reduced ! Hopeing to stop then next

Reactions: 5 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Metformin is a 'safe' medication, so can be taken indefinitely, but it's not a cure for diabetes. Mine was halved six months after diagnosis and I'll hopefully be off it completely by the end of the year. Both @Bluetit1802 and @Enclave (and many others) are proof that you don't necessarily need to take it

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I was on two tablets a day starting out in June 2014. By September I was on one. By December (according to the doc) I won't be taking them at all. There is no doubt that the reliance on metformin in many cases (including mine) is tied to weight loss, moderate and consistent exercise to accompany that and of course, a good diet. Do all that and you've made a damned good start !!!

There's a major radio campaign running downunder at the moment and I love it. They say they (and I quote) "want to turn type 1 into type none". I emailed them and suggested they extend that message by adding "turn type 2 into type who?"

There's a great star trek voyager episode ("The void" ) where the starship is suddenly trapped inside a void of space that sucks in other ships and with no means of independent escape, each species raids the other to take their supplies simply to survive. Captain Janeway encourages an alliance to defeat the bubble that's enveloped them and they orchestrate an escape thru trust and self belief. That's exactly how I view Type 2.

We're all stuck and each new day, someone new gets trapped. Thanks to this forum, there may not be an immediate way out, but it won't be for lack of effort, advice and above all, compassion

Take care out there

Mike

Reactions: 4 people

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks everyone for your comments.

If ever I need to take medication I can do so with much more confidence.

Nearly 3 years ago when I had my fasting bloods done my blood glucose came back as 5.8.

My doctor asked me if I wanted to go on Metformin. I declined and had an OGTT which came back 5.5 fasting and 5.5 2 hours after.

I'm sort of shocked that he recommended medication based on one fasting test. Recent OGTT was 5.6 fasting & 7 after two hours.

I am not taking any chances and am following a low carb diet (lost 8-9Kg over the last 3 months) and hope so get into the gym as soon as my sore back/buttock/thigh improves.

sandeep2090

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone.. i am quite new to this forum ..so i dont knw where to post the queries.
My question :

Can i stop medications if my sugar levels are in control and HBA1C comes in normal range ?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone.. i am quite new to this forum ..so i dont knw where to post the queries.
My question :

Can i stop medications if my sugar levels are in control and HBA1C comes in normal range ?
Hi, welcome to the forums .. I was told to stop taking metaformin after 10 months and two good blood readings from the Dr

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My question :

If the meds are what's controlling your blood glucose, then probably not. You'd need to figure this out with your doctor. I lost a bunch of weight and changed my diet to low carb and a doctor told me to stop the metformin and see what happens. But it was only 500 mg per day.

sandeep2090

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for reply. :) I started with 250 MG Metformin each post breakfast and dinner. Then i started having gastric problem ..like bloating , gases problem causing pressurized chest and problem of breathing ..then dr. asked to take 250 MG only post dinner... now everything is ok . and i did random sugar tests, urine check ..sugar is absent in urine and blood test is also normal .. :D I knw this is due to Metformin ..but i am trying hard to loose weight and be active .... i will be getting tested again in Jan 2015 and i would like to have NORMAL results in Jan - Feb because my bday is in March ..:) being healthy would be the best gift i would ever give myself.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

Appreciate some feedback on this.

Have been on very low carb keto diet (approx 20gms carbs from veggies only) for about 3 months now. After 2 months A1C down to 6.2 from 8.6. Unfortunately, I can only have it tested once every 8 weeks. Issue is that my FBG levels have been constantly high (approx 6.8-7.4) despite minimal dietary carbs. Whenever I check blood sugar before bed, readings are good (circa 5.5). So, my liver is being very naughty.

Read online that some people have experienced high FBG but normal A1C.

Question is: given that it is clearly a liver issue, would it be advisable to go on a low dose of metformin to help keep my FBG down or should i not take it so long as my A1C continues to improve? What are the long term consequences of depending on metformin to resolve this?

p/s i am not on any diabetic medication at the moment. also if i do start metformin, i would hope it to be a temporary measure until such time that I lose sufficient amounts of weight/do enough exercise to significantly improve my insulin sensitivity.

Thanks a bunch.

Mo

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Everyone,

Appreciate some feedback on this.

Have been on very low carb keto diet (approx 20gms carbs from veggies only) for about 3 months now. After 2 months A1C down to 6.2 from 8.6. Unfortunately, I can only have it tested once every 8 weeks. Issue is that my FBG levels have been constantly high (approx 6.8-7.4) despite minimal dietary carbs. Whenever I check blood sugar before bed, readings are good (circa 5.5). So, my liver is being very naughty.

Read online that some people have experienced high FBG but normal A1C.

Question is: given that it is clearly a liver issue, would it be advisable to go on a low dose of metformin to help keep my FBG down or should i not take it so long as my A1C continues to improve? What are the long term consequences of depending on metformin to resolve this?

p/s i am not on any diabetic medication at the moment. also if i do start metformin, i would hope it to be a temporary measure until such time that I lose sufficient amounts of weight/do enough exercise to significantly improve my insulin sensitivity.

Thanks a bunch.

Mo

Read this:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

And this:

http://www.pharmacologyweekly.com/articles/metformin-hypoglycemia-mechanism-diabetes

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Reactions: 2 people