How low before you need help?

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
About a month or so ago my consultant changed me over to basal/bolus so I'm still getting used to it. I'm really happy that they've taken me off the mixed insulin which didn't work so well for me.
I will get to go on DAFNE in a few months - I could have been on one now but it's a course that runs one day a week for 5 weeks and I'm on holiday one of the weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to get on with it - I've got carbs and cals and I know how it's supposed to work! But it doesn't always.
To start with I think I was a bit wussy with taking the bolus insulin - I've only been diagnosed about 15 months and I'm still a bit scared with it, but then my readings were too high so I gave myself a talking to and I now take what I think is right and most of the time it works quite well.
But I have had a couple of hypos in the last few weeks - including waking up in the night at 2.9 and this evening I went swimming and had to get out of the pool and was 2.6.
I was just wondering how low before you need someone to help you - are going to keel over? - it rather frightens me!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Fairylights,

The following is an on-line version of a carb counting course similar to DAFNE, it might be worth registering and see if it helps whilst you await to enroll on the course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

As for how low before needing help, that's a difficult one to answer as it will depend very much on the person, some report levels of the high 2's for example and needed assistance and yet some have gone much lower and manage on their own, I've been fortunate that I've never needed any third-party assistance but I never become complacent when it comes to treating hypo's.

Stick with things and remain positive, once you get the basal and bolus doses right you'll feel less anxious.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi noblehead, sorry to butt in but after reading your post i registered on that site and it seems very informative. Thanks for posting it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Noblehead - Thanks - I'll try the online course. Hopefully that will help me a bit and I'm reading Think Like a Pancreas - although I have to read each bit about 10 times and it still doesn't completely sink in ...