How low can we go?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

In the 10 months I've been watching my carbs, ive now gone as low as i can without compromising too much and still getting my 5 a day and a good spread of nutrients from my diet.

I have been running on about 45 carbs per day for about a month, from around 70 to 80 before. All is well. I feel much better, aren't having feelings of chronic overwhelming tiredness that i was having mid afternoon and am generally less hungry.

I still eat well. Loads of meat, fish, chicken, salad, veg but limit carrots and cauliflower. I have swapped milk on my coffees to Soya (with added calcium).

Its lovely watching the last of my Belly dissapear - my BMI is now 25 from 35. Most of my family have seen the benefits and they are now following my diet plan with similar results.

Is this sustainable without damaging myself? How low are others going? Do we actually need any carbs?

Carl

jaykay

Congrats on the figures but I think your question is quite contentious. There seems to be a big divide between low carbers and non low carbers with both sides believing they are correct. I think you just have to keep an eye on how you feel, do lots of reading and make up your own mind. I shall now retire behind my wall of rice bags ( well, don't use them for anything else ) to avoid the coming battle. :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Jaykay

I shouldn't worry too much....the Marines are around.....we've been here before !

:twisted: :lol: :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Carl
I've been told often that we do need carbs, but there's NO EVIDENCE for this.
I've searched for it for years. There's more evidence that we don't and that we can fuel ourselves perfectly well on fats.
One suggestion that I found somewhere, is that our proper fuel is fats, with our brains running on ketones and that glucose is just a turbo boost of FAST energy, easily available.
If you read Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution"
He advocates 30g of carbs per day, spli 6 for breakfast, and 12 each for main meals.
I don't understand why you have cut cauliflower.It's pretty much carb free. Only about 1% digestible carb and 2% fibre.
I understand if you don't like it, but it won't spike your bg. Carrots are about 6% digestible carbs, so still not a huge amount unless you eat the whole veg garden

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Carbs are really only any good if you expend a lot of energy, I think personally. As to how low; my bM's can go as low as 2.6 until I get hypo symptoms. I know this is a touchy subject here but I have been assured that as long as I DO get hypo symptoms it doesn't really matter. I have cut all starchy carbs from my daily diet and have lost 7 stone up to now - my digestion is sooo much better and I no longer have the chronic diarrhoea I used to. So it's working for me. It might not be the same for anyone else though. We're all different and must do what's best for us. Whatever works for you is the best. :D :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sue
7 stones is just brilliant. I've really struggled to lose half of that and it's taken 3 years. I congratulate and envy you
Hana

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

thanks for the advice - I will get some cauliflower - i'd given it up based on my 'all things white are bad' mentality when first diagnosed.

I am a huge supporter of low carbing and Sue, you have done fab with 7 stone. My wife suffered with IBS for years until she came on the low carb with me a few months ago. She reckons she's never felt so well and lost 2 stone for good measure.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight. I Managed to pull my shoulder out of socket in the swimming pool practicing the eskimo roll in my new kayak. A quick trip up A&E has sorted it but it doesn't half feel sore.

Anyway, off to bed for an early night.

Thanks again, Carl

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hey Carl
Think of all the things you have been missing out on by cutting the cauliflower! It was never a fav of mine but it has become a very versatile staple as a mash, rice, last night bhaji(?) and I love it.
I am now starting in to my third year of around 30 g of carbs a day. Dr Bernstein has reportedly been running on that as a T1 for about 40 years and to this day runs an extremely busy diabetic practice in his late seventies, so it doesn't seem to have shortened his life yet.
My BG impaired H has been following my regime for 16 months and his afternoon naps stopped. He jogs or cycles now for an hour. Had to put our dog on a LC diet so she can keep up with all the exercise.
A little raw carrot seems OK for me but cooked is not. I didn't think that your question was contenyious as this is the low carb section. Many of my aquaintances have seen the results in me, weight loss, new wardrobe, increased energy and ask me to write down what I eat and don't eat.
Jaykay is right that you have to keep an eye on how you feel.
Sue32 your weight loss is nothing short of amazing.
Alison

jaykay

Aah true Alison, I forgot which forum we were in ( although that doesn't stop SOME people :lol: ). I suppose I ought to count carbs properly but I am trying not to get too hung up on food. I have cut pasta, potatoes and bread totally and rarely have a couple of spoons of basmati wholegrain. I have lost 26kg in about 6 months and dropped 3 dress sizes :D . Don't really get hungry and don't miss the naughties too much but if I want a little chocolate or a chip off my husbands plate, I have it. The only 'side effect' is a constant very mild headache. :(

clearviews

Dislikes
Jaykay
The constant 'mild' headache you say you are getting..... perhaps you might try increasing your water intake for a few weeks to see if it helps. We live in a potato free zone now but I have made some celariac chips and they are nice. I also make a kind of white chocolate that is very yummy when you want a low carb sweet treat. My tennis ladies said that I hadexcelled myself when they sampled them along with a pumpkin and almond cake I had brought along. Might post the recipe in that section as I can't post the link to the very stylish low carb cooking site in New Zealand here due to the rules.
Carl.... I have a double seater kayak with paddles and pedal and our summer is on it's way. The beach across the road is sparkling but your shoulder story is a bit of a worry!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Alison :)
I think you can post the link to your NZ site in "Diabetes Sticky Threads" under either "Other Forums and Blogs" or "Links for Low Carbing".
:)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
daisy1 said:
Hi Alison :)
I think you can post the link to your NZ site in "Diabetes Sticky Threads" under either "Other Forums and Blogs" or "Links for Low Carbing".
:)

It may well be that the link referred to can be posted where you say Daisy........however to avoid any problem the simplest and easiest thing to do is for the Member to pm a Monitor and we will clarify if it is allowed or not.

Many Members have done that previously and have been given help as to how and where such links can be posted without breaking the Administrators rules regarding links. Sometimes a link can be posted but just has to be non-clickable........ If you don't ask.....you don't get. 8)

It is always best that a Member asks us if in any doubt rather than just assuming it is taboo. Nobody has a problem with that, it's what we are here for......... :)

cugila
Forum Monitor

clearviews

Dislikes
Well Daisy, I have done as asked and the link is allowed.
The recipe is on http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/ although I have posted my version of it in the Food Section on this forum as you have found.
It is under the 'low carb snacks' and it is called White Chocolate. The rest of their recipes are just devine as well! Look for the 'Creamed Coconut Chocolate" too.
Alison

jaykay

Thanks Alison. I shall have to monitor my water intake. I always thought I drank enough water but I did read here somewhere we should drink more due to diabetes. I drink about 1&1/2 litres a day. Headache has been worse today. :(