How low is too low??

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys

Was diagnosed on New Years Eve '09 & BG's were in the 18's, since then I have dramatically dropped my carbs & for the past 2 weeks my BG's are in the 4's (except for first thing in the morning 6-7) is there such a thing as having them to low for a period of time? As my diabetic nurse said I should aim for 5-7.

Apart from having a horrible head cold right now... I haven't felt this good in years & have dropped 46lbs since diagnosis but wonder if being in the 4's is detrimental in anyway to my health?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Linzi. x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Every Diabetic should make sure that their Bg levels don't drop below 4 mmol/l as below that is considered to be Hypoglycaemic, something to be avoided. I prefer my levels to between 5-7 two hours after meals then I avoid hypo symptoms which for me start at around 4.5 mmol/l.

If you are in the 4's and you feel OK then I wouldn't worry too much, however if you have no hypo symptoms when lower then your hypo awareness may be not good. Something to consider if you drive or operate machinery as low Bg levels can have a detrimental effect on dexterity, concentration etc.

Ken

ditzeeblonde

Hi Ken

Thanks for your comments

I have been feeling a bit odd recently, which I can only describe as being a bit confused, slightly disorientated & kind of foggy. I put it down to having a cold but could they be symptoms of BG's being too low? I wouldn't know what to look out for?

Many thanks Linzi.x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Linzi.
It may be that your cold is affecting your Bg levels and making you feel that way.

However, for future reference symptoms of a hypo can be any or all of these:
Hunger, palpitations. dry mouth, dizzyness, headache, feeling weak or faint, sweating excessively, tingling around the face or mouth, lack of concentration, shaking, aggressiveness.

The way to treat a possible hypo is to test the level, if low then take some dextrose/glucose tabs, or Lucozade, or sugary drink (full Coke) and test again after about 15 mins. If still low repeat the process until the level is normal and have a small 'carby' snack to stabilise the levels. I also use Jelly Babies for an instant hit, personally 3 tabs etc is usually enough to lift my levels along with a 'slug' of Lucozade......we are all different though.

Ken

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Linzi
you are unlikely to get dangerous hypos on 2 x 500mg Metformin per day. It's medication that causes hypos, and Meformin, especially at low doses, tends not to.
Also on low dose Metformin, you are likely to get your BG up just by waiting, although a glucotab can help to speed up the process.
Keep your testing kit by you and if you feel unwell, just check.
Even if your doctor doesn't prescribe strips for you, he/she should do so if you are ill. However I'm not sure a cold would count.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
hanadr said:
Linzi
you are unlikely to get dangerous hypos on 2 x 500mg Metformin per day. It's medication that causes hypos,
Hana

I agree with you that Linzi will not get dangerous hypo's, however as posted elsewhere many times the symptoms of a hypo are such that if you get them they can be a danger if you drive or operate machinery. Therefore they can be a danger if left untreated or just ignored. Possibly a danger to others as well. That should be taken into consideration.

It isn't just medication that causes hypo's.........ANYBODY, Diabetic or not can suffer from Hypoglycaemia, a hypo. It is just low blood sugar which can be caused by missing meals or eating less than normal, delaying meals or eating late, being more active than usual, even hot weather can have an effect when combined with too much exercise or strenuous tasks.

So No.....it isn't just meds that can cause hypo's !

Ken.

ditzeeblonde

Thanks Hanadr

I'm very lucky with my GP & they let me have a steady supply of testing strips, so have been keeping a check when I feel a bit wierd!

I do think perhaps the head cold isn't helping plus I have ToTM which I don't know if that has any affect?? I have this month being doing a lot more exercising too, I guess I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing too much!

Today my levels have been
Fasting 5.9
Then 4.8 > 4.4 > 4.9

Just had some 90% dark chocolate so see if that raises it a bit.

Linzi. x

ditzeeblonde

cugila said:
hanadr said:
Linzi
you are unlikely to get dangerous hypos on 2 x 500mg Metformin per day. It's medication that causes hypos,
Hana

I agree with you that Linzi will not get dangerous hypo's, however as posted elsewhere many times the symptoms of a hypo are such that if you get them they can be a danger if you drive or operate machinery. Therefore they can be a danger if left untreated or just ignored. Possibly a danger to others as well. That should be taken into consideration.

It isn't just medication that causes hypo's.........ANYBODY, Diabetic or not can suffer from Hypoglycaemia, a hypo. It is just low blood sugar which can be caused by missing meals or eating less than normal, delaying meals or eating late, being more active than usual, even hot weather can have an effect when combined with too much exercise or strenuous tasks.

So No.....it isn't just meds that can cause hypo's !

Ken.

So the fact I've been exercising everyday this month coupled with carbs of 20g per day would have quite an impact on my levels being lower, plus probably a cold then? Just a combination of everything?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Linzi.
Yes, I would think so..........you can sometimes have too much of a good thing. Just keep an eye on the levels and ease up on the exercise a bit till you are fully recovered.

Ken