how many carbs a day

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
it is sort of individual

I am sticking to about 20 grams a day but some can have more than that

some people find that to start with they need to be very low in carbs and as their control of blood glucose improves they can have more carbs

i highly recommend that you try the very low carb approach. I have never thought I could get from 12.5 blood glucose to 4.8 in 4 months but I am sure that if I can then so can you

it is sort of easy - all you have to do when you cook for the family, you have the proteins [meat, chicken,fish,eggs,cheese] and some of the non-starchy veggies and omit the potato, legumes, bread, noodles and rice

I have found that broccoli seems to be very good for my blood glucose levels so for lunch I have a little steamed broccoli and celery and then melt a slice of cheese over that... YUM! I steam it with a little water on a frypan and when the water all evaporates I put the cheese on the vegies and close the lid and within a few minutes the cheese is melted enough but has not started coating the bottom of the frypan where it would be difficult to clean up afterwards. so as soon as it melts a little I scoop it onto a plate and mix through the veggies once it is on the plate. I never mix the cheese through on the frypan.

good luck

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I max out on 70g of carbs a day.

Breakfast: with slice of Burgen >>> 12g

Lunch: large salad everyday >>> 10g (A Sainsbury Large Salad Bowl including 220g by way of example is measured at less than 10g of carb)

Dinner: with vegetables or large salad >>> 10g
Medium apple >>> 20g
Bowl of berries >>> up to 20 g

I could cut the fruit, but I have a craving for it and feel it's important for the sustainability of my diet.

I do a 1000 calorie burn swim 4 to 5 days a week and hope that that negates some of the excess carbs.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet for a good basic very-low-carb diet. It's a Sticky Thread on the Low Carb diet section of the forum. If you stick to that, your BGs will come down, as will your cholesterol and blood pressure. You will also lose weight if you need to.

If 20/25g carb per day is too low for you, get yourself a carb counter book and increase your carbs to your preferred level. You need to check how high carb all the foods you want to eat are; also go for Low Glycaemic Index foods, where the carbohydrate hits your blood more slowly. NB you must take more care about the amount of fat you eat as you increase your carb intake - but don't be afraid of good quality "natural" fats.

I follow "my" diet as much for weight loss as anything - I probably ate at the NHS-recommended level around Christmas, and put 6lbs on :shock: . I cannot take carbohydrate, and try to stick to 30g daily and always less than 50g daily. Others manage their blood glucose perfectly well on 130/150g per day - we are all different! Some people just use portion control - small portions! If you have a meter and test strips, and test 2 hours after meals, you'll soon work out what you can't eat.

Viv 8)