How many carbs do you have a day?

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi elc1112

I am usually hovering around the 20g a day mark. I initially started by aiming aroung the 100g a day mark
and got there without to much pain I then struck towards the 50g a day mark. Somehow it has then drifted down
to around the 20g a day mark. I don't eat bread of any kind and the only crunchy thing I have is pork scratchings.
Most of my Carbs come from the green vegetables I have.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
As many as there are in a few glasses of red, otherwise as close as I can get to Zero.

I expect that the NHS would tell you that there are carbs in fresh air !

Breath deeply !

Sorry I've had a glass or three of beautiful Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, B****y marvellous !

Lots to read about Low/No carbing on these forums.

Good luck with your research..

Superchip

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I try to eat less than 20g carbs a day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Varies but around 150g a day.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Less that 25g a day, but I'm thinking about going proper zero carb for a month as an experiment.

MaryJ

maddiemo said:
Wow! Your all on really low carbs, when I tried that low felt terrible. Might try again.

I just can't handle much without getting high BG, unless I have a glass of wine with the meal and for me that isn't the way to go. Not every meal anyway :)

Mary x

Elc1112

Thanks all. I'm having around about 50g at the minute. I'm type 1 and find I have a fair few hypos if I have too few carbs. Reckon I can reduce it a little bit more though. The thing that I am finding the hardest is my new 'no drinking during the week' rule. It's only Monday and I am already struggling! It had better all be worth it in the end :)

Defren

maddiemo said:
Wow! Your all on really low carbs, when I tried that low felt terrible. Might try again.

I can't control my BG if I eat more. My carbs come from one 60g serving of berries a day and green leafy veggies. I also get a small amount from Greek yogurt and chia seeds. No bread, pasta, rice or potato's for me, as well as nothing made with grains and no milk. Every meal I eat is made from scratch with healthy wholesome ingredients.

The terrible feeling you experienced is likely to have been carb (or Atkins) flu. It's where your body changes from a carb burning machine to a fat burning one. The terrible feelings only last a few days.

owain2

I rarely exceed 60gm per day, any more than that has a negative effect on my BG.

I believe anything over 100 can only really be considered "Reduced Carb" rather than "Low Carb".

It's true you can feel rough at first but after a few days your body adapts to the lower levels of blood glucose and you start to reap the benefits. I feel 20 years younger since I bit the bullet (instead of the bread!).

Owain.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
In theory I aim for less than 30g per day. In practice it's probably less than 50g.

After 2.5 years of Type 2, and a weight loss of 60lb+, I find I can tolerate a few more carbs now and still keep my BGs in the non-diabetic range. But it is a "few" carbs - more than about 50g and I start putting weight on again :( , as well as higher BGs.

Viv 8)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Most normal days then anything between 5g and 75g depending on what meals we have I suppose the average is around 50g. Special occasions I will do up to 125g and can get away with it just for one day.