How many days a week do you exercise?

titchy_lou

For the past year, I've been going to Zumba classes once a week. I also try to go for walks at the weekend. My bg is constantly high, in the teens, but I'm doing everything I can; it's just the medication isn't right for me.

Last week, I did Zumba twice, and it did bring down my sugar levels, so in theory doing Zumba 7 days a week would be great for my diabetes. However, because my diabetes isn't under control, I'm constantly ill and/or exhuasted, and I don't think I could do Zumba 7 days a week.

So, I'm just wondering, how many days a week do you spend more than an hour's proper exercise? What's the accepted amount in a week?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I exercise 3 times per day and am working my way upto 10 mins each time. I use a rower. It's comparable to walking up a steep hill.

The idea behind it is not to improve cardio vascular functions or to lose weight but to improve digestion. There is a short term release of various hormones and in return, enzymes which work on a number of things such as fats and also improve insulin sensitivity. The effect is short lived so a couple of longer sessions per week wouldn't do it for me. The short sessions do have a cumulative beneficial effect though and, from the studies I have read, I should be targetting burning 1200 kcal per week through resistance exercises. I'm at around 40 per session at the moment so, 120 per day or 840 per week. The effect is noticable though. It drops my BG faster than if I don't exercise and, if I have a post meal nap, my BG goes up considerably. At about 30 mins per day, I should start to get some cardio vascular benefit which in turn should increase my metabolism which ought then to help a little with weight loss. Generally though, even with moderately improved fitness, people lead more active lives, do more and therefore exercise indirectly. I have notice that I am spending more time in the garden, shifting and burning rubbish, tidying up, cutting the lawns and hedge etc. I'll be happy if I can get upto 3 x 15 mins per day, each time about 1 hour after every meal.

Diabetick

I go to the gym everyday free school for an hour and I do heavy lifting what our levels are doing is having a re bound wich is your going low and your body gives you sugar to push you up but you rebound high make sure you test put in a snack and press exercise button if you have it if not reduce your dose by 20% this should work I mean I gym everyday and go play football on Friday and martial arts in Wednesday

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

titchy_lou

Next question, how many calories so out reckon you burn in each session?

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin