How many eggs are too many?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of us rely on eggs as a stalwart of our eating regime (refuse ro use that word diet). So I reckon I eat more than 6 less than 12 per week (excluding limited baking). What about everyone else?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't restrict my eggs from a health point of view but simply get bored of them on a daily basis! They are a great last minute.com meal though so I always have them on hand!
HALF A BAKER'S DOZEN to answer your question..

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't restrict my eggs from a health point of view but simply get bored of them on a daily basis! They are a great last minute.com meal though so I always have them on hand!
HALF A BAKER'S DOZEN to answer your question..
Yoy may have been doing this longer than me so I totally get the boredom thing but as you say last minute when you are just stumped to know what to eat or are bone tired there is always an omlette and you can throw in literally anything non carb!

Reactions: NicoleC1971

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think a lot of us rely on eggs as a stalwart of our eating regime (refuse ro use that word diet). So I reckon I eat more than 6 less than 12 per week (excluding limited baking). What about everyone else?

Usually not more than three to a meal.

It goes in phases, but three a day seems reasonable which comes in as 21 per week. Two boxes of 12. :)

Reactions: ringi

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
It varies with me. Some weeks I eat lots, go off them, then eat none

D

Deleted member 308541

I go through four dozen a fortnight, mostly three egg cheese and mushroom omelettes and few hard boiled eggs.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a couple most days.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 of us in the house and we probably buy 20 eggs a month.

I find too many eggs at once can cause digestive upset. The phrase (which I love) is ‘egg bound’ :D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult to say as I have phases of eating a lot of eggs with bacon, then I might fancy mushroom omelettes a week or so later, then in the warmer weather cold boiled eggs chopped up in a salad, with grated cheese, or scrambled egg with melted cheese and a sliced tomato - so some weeks none at all and in others up to 20.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a veggie who eats a small amount of fish, so eggs are essential for me to keep up LCHF, I usually have a couple a day.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult to say as I have phases of eating a lot of eggs with bacon, then I might fancy mushroom omelettes a week or so later, then in the warmer weather cold boiled eggs chopped up in a salad, with grated cheese, or scrambled egg with melted cheese and a sliced tomato - so some weeks none at all and in others up to 20.
Oh yes in the old days when I met Mr Pengie and we went out to dinner one of our favourite starters was egg mayo. Roll on summer!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat 2 at a sitting, but not more than that.

We are getting chickens in May : )))))))))

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat 2 at a sitting, but not more than that.

We are getting chickens in May : )))))))))
Yay! I used to have chickens but new house's garden too small - they are such characters and nothing beats checking the nesting boxes and finding fresh, still warm, eggs of a morning.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't know about "per day" or "per week" - I can go for a week without having any, then have 6 in a day.

But I do have a definite personal limit "per meal": 2 is fine, but 3 in one go and I start to feel a bit sick. I notice the effect even more if they are scrambled. Scrambled egg made with 3 eggs is always a little too much, and I struggle to finish it, even get a sense that the flow of food might suddenly change direction if I went any further!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I go through 4 dozen in 3 weeks plus 1 dozen for hubby (he doesn't eat breakfast unless its the weekend).

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My low carb coconut ‘porridge’ that I have for brekkie has one in so straight away that’s 7/week, then we always have omelette night once a week so that’s two more then I have boiled eggs and scrambled eggs each once a week for lunches. I make that 13!