1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How many have achieved long term reversal with LCHF?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Caprock94, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

I've read a ton of success stories on here about reversing type2 with LCHF diet. It has allowed me to drop my levels quickly as well. I am hoping it is a long term solution. Is that likely? How many of you have had long term success with this and avoided meds? How many years?

• Like Like x 3
  2. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

11 for me and I can’t see it changing anytime soon.

• Winner Winner x 16
    • Like Like x 7
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

3 1/2 years since diagnosis no meds, "normal" HbA1c.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Relative beginner here. 2.5 years. No meds, non-diabetic HbA1c. Many other health benefits too. No going back.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was diagnosed late 2016 - normal levels in everything for 2 years.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've said before I'm not sure about calling it "reversal" but I dropped to pre-diabetic level within a couple of months of diagnosis, and have remained there for five and a half years - low carb for whole time and metformin for first three years. Since my pancreas and I are both well past our sell date, I'm content to remain at this level, and as I prefer this way of eating I see no reason to change.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

6.5 years - no medication, normal A1c. Like @Robbity, I don't call myself reversed, in remission, cured, etc. I call myself well controlled because I know if I went back to eating the way I used to, it would be a surefire way back to active Type 2.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. nsh2111

nsh2111 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

diagnosed 2.5 years. As per GP they call me as someone detected early ( hbac was 50 at diagnosis). Brought hbac to 42 in a year by reducing carbs( NOT LCHF). For last one year i am LCHF and levels stay at 47 mmol ( Just barely in pre diabetic)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mike@work

[email protected] Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A loud HURRAH
    for all of you, who have done long and hard job to reverse your T2, to a less problematic level!!

upload_2019-6-4_9-44-31.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4 years.

As it’s about 7% of my life so far, and I likely had some degree of metabolic disorder for far longer it’s a little early to call it a long term reversal, but I’m happy with how it’s going.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I started very well , but I've put 4 pounds on and I am having trouble with my sweet tooth . I am addicted to sugar I know this , I don't eat pasta rice potatoes or root vegetables , my meals consist of full cooked breakfast , blueberries strawberries walnuts double cream, all meats fish , but I have really let myself down recently with eating biscuits and other sweet stuff , paid the price for it this morning too , been in the doctors all morning with intermittent migraine aura , scared the life out of me . Fasting today no food until tea time , just drinking coffee with double cream and water and resting . I also had a test and I am sky high on the depression list so seeing a professional about this soon. I may be starting beta blockers next week as my heart rate is fast .

• Hug Hug x 9
    #11 WackyJacky64, Jun 4, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  12. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Just over 5 years with non-diabetic levels on a LCHF diet and a 10 point drop in my BMI. (31 down to 21)

Research the type of beta blocker if you are given one. One or two of them increase blood sugar levels. One particular one showed new onset T2 in a quarter of the participants in a trial.

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20120516081816351223

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Five and a half years for me.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  14. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

About 4 years for me. the 1st year I was Ketogenic now im low carb dipping in and out of ketosis.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  15. LindsayJane

LindsayJane Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Too early to tell for me as I was only diagnosed at the end of 2018. Been in ketosis since late January and intend following LCHF for the rest of my life. I test my blood glucose levels at regular intervals during the day and they are normally within the non-diabetic range (with a few blips that can usually be tracked back to a wrong food choice or stress!!). I find it helps to keep a diary of what I eat so that I can tell if anything has caused a spike. Got my first full review in July and will no doubt post the resuts on here for advice or a jolly good pat on the back! Good luck with your journey x

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

Great to read these responses. Encouraging!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Since December 2014 - 4.5 years. But reversal has been a long time in the making, as I originally went by the advised Eatwell Plan for over 4 of those years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #17 Listlad, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  18. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Even after a year of lowcarb I still have a sweet tooth and have always tended to stress eat - now if I know things are likely to get bad I preplan with low carb stevia icecream and coconut/almond flour cake slices in the freezer.
    And I have some stevia sweetened 'milk' chocolate for the times that 85% just isn't right, ie most nights when I can't get to sleep for hours!
    I eat better than I used too, but while waiting over 10 months after applying for NHS therapy to deal with eating issues and depression I had to allow myself some low carb 'treats' to help me stay on track and in remission.

There are a couple of nice no added sugar biscuits around, the Gullon range and the Misura yogurt biscuits - don't eat too many but one or two can fit into a lowcarb life.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hopefully in a few years I can say I have been 'in control' for a couple of years on LC and slightly higher fat. After about 10 months my A1C is down to 6.5 from 8.5 in May 2018, I have stopped insulin, my Metformin is cut in half (now 2x500gm per day) and I have lost nearly 30 lbs. Right now I try and max my carbs at 50 gm per day and my CGM shows a fairly level bg Daily Pattern of between 7.0 and 7.5. This seems to equate to an A1C of about 6.1. I would really like to get the A1c to nearer 5.5 but when my bg reading gets to below 6.0 I definitely start feeling hypo even though the bg doesn't agree.
    Any ideas from people who have hit this 'wall'?

• Like Like x 5
  20. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

3.5 years for me in non-diabetic HbA1c range and removed Metformin August 2016. Fbg between 3.8 and 4.4, post prandial rise never more than 2. 4 pb's in weight training this week. Mainly LCHP with sprinkles of LCHF and carnivore.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook