How many of us are following the low-carb diet?

SilverAndEbony

Hi folks,

I have just read in another topic that most of the type 2's on this forum follow the low-carb diet. I can't remember what the exact words were, so I may have got the meaning.

Anyway, it made me wonder exactly what the proportion of type 2s on this forum do follow the low-carb diet. I don't (pasta addict!), but I am trying to keep an eye on what proportion of my diet is carbs. It's made me think about it at least.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a low carber, because it minimises the tablets I have to use. I love pasta, but daren't.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I'm cutting back but not so that you would call me low carb.

Still unsure, for example last night I had Basmati rice with my main meal a large portion too. Test before 5.8 test after 2 hours 6.9 test after 4 hours and before bed 6.9, between the 2 and 4 test I had a slice of home made cake (made with healthy ingriediants and oats) I had expected the tests to be much much higher, so I'll not be cutting rice out. (Was my first testing with rice) Norma for mel test of 5.5 this morning too.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I'm another 80g to 100g per day, It would be less but due to me being underweight my Dietitian advised me to eat 4 meals a day.

Graham

Trinkwasser

Me too, generally around 60 - 100g depending.

It's not just here, it's virtually 100% on the newsgroup alt.support.diabetes and probably 80% or more even under the very noses of the ADA on their forums (although I don't bother with the Type 1 forum there, I barely have time to keep up with the Type 2s)

In fact there are very few places I've visited where the majority aren't low carbing to some degree.

MelanieL

I'm a lower carber too! (some days I have a potato - my weakness). Thrilled with the results of my BG numbers in such a short time. I see the doc tomorrow for the first time - wonder what her reaction will be when I tell her that my BG is now in the 4's and 5's rather than low 20's and high teens?

Katharine

35-80g carb a day.

Some days I am extremely carnivorous but it is the season of russet apples and we all have our little weaknesses.

lesleyr284

I started keeping a diary of what I ate to see just how many carbs I was eating 'normally' - around 200g-250g a day! My BS have gone up lately, so I'm addressing the carbs. First to go is grains and already I feel better. I love fruit and veg so really don't think I could ever lo lo carb (under 50g), but I'm aiming for under 150g and so far I'm managing between 130-170g a day. Can't live without apples! My doc wants me to eat grains. She insists that cutting them from my diet is very bad, but I took her advice for the last three months and now I'm facing metformin, so it's back to watching carbs.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I guess im low carb, it isnt something i chose to do i just never ate many carbs before,i did when on just lantus go nearlly no carb as i had no choice but was quite unwell doing it,since on basal bolus i now eat roughly the same as i did before diagnosis which is approx 60/90 carbs daily so yes i guess im low carb :D

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I am on the low-carb diet but I have no idea how many carbs I eat. All my carbs come from fruits and vegetables and nuts. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - except for 1 slice of bread with my breakfast on Sundays. Oh and on Saturday night I had about 5 chips. :lol:
Funny thing - we were having a take-away with a few mates. Dessert was sorbet, cheesecake, ice-cream, fruit, chocolates of every kind. I declined everything but a small portion of cherries, strawberries and grapes and felt very virtuous. Until the brother-in-law told me I could have a large helping of mango sorbet and just "ignore the sugar"... yeah... that would work! :roll: I resisted!

How do you work out how many carbs you are having a day, do you weigh everything? I'm **** at guessing.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I'm on around 100 carbs a day (half what I used to) I keep track by using an online diet diary and the Collins Gem calorie counter book. I tended to weigh everything when I first started reducing my carbs, but now I'm better able to guess portion sizes.

SilverAndEbony

I'm going to sound as ignorant of the whole low-carb thing as you probably already know I am, but here goes....
:oops:

What constitutes a low-carb diet? I mean, how much carb is low-carb? In real terms, I mean. Do you look at the % of calories in the list of ingredients?
You give carbs by weight, what does 100g carb look like?
I did weightwatchers years ago, and happily lost 6 stone which I've unhappily put most back on. We had selections - 'bread' was a defined amount starchy food e.g. bread (different amounts for different types), pasta, rice, potato, peas etc. I found that easy to manage - is low-carbing similar?

My other question is: what can I eat? Assume I'm a veggie as I don't eat much meat or any fish. Or eggs. I'm also keeping an eye on fat content, both with an eye to losing weight, but also because of the strong family history of heart disease.

Trinkwasser

SilverAndEbony said:
What constitutes a low-carb diet? I mean, how much carb is low-carb? In real terms, I mean.

That's the question; the answer comes from your BG meter, it's the amount of carbs which keeps your BG in normal range.

Alan calls it a low spike diet. People I know seem able to handle between 20 and 150 grams on that basis. Compared to DUK advice that's ALL low carb. Your number is yours and belong to you, and probably differs with time of day.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Type 2 since August 22nd this year
Low carb diet Follower = 30 - 60 grammes a day MAX
Very happy :)

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i am not counting my carbs but not having any obvious ones like pasta pots bread rice etc
am finding i can have say soup with low amount of carbs but mostly meat fish eggs cheese and loads of veg (oh and nuts for interest)

have had episodes when had something i should not (nachos a couple of months ago sent me high as a kite)

second Hba1c next week :!: wait and see