How many of you also have a diabetic dog

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Gutted to say the least having had my whippet dog diagnosed as Type 1 daibetci today ...I am wondering how many pout there has a dog with diabetes and what would you say to having to give injectiosn twice a day to a 6month old dog would you say this is fare ont he dog or not??

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately only you can decide about the injections, its not fair but its necessary to keep her healthy, if you feel you can't do the jabs or are concerned about the cost then you already know the answer, sorry to be so blunt but only you can make that decision.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that 2 injections a day, started young, will just seem perfectly normal to your pup. But it will be vital you do it as if it is the most natural thing in the world. If your dog picks up stress from you, then they will find the experience stressful.

My heart goes out to you, but with careful management, your pup should have a long, happy and healthy life.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Patsy, your dog will not bat an eyelid over the injections. Injections mean food in a your dogs mind. I had a working collie many years ago who developed diabetes, he didn't mind the injections one little bit :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't fair - I know and have experienced what it's like to have very sick dogs - three with serious heart issues as they got older. But medication helped them to live comfortable lives - one to a decent old age. It is difficult but dogs don't necessarily have the same worries as we do over illness - my oldie just never gave up. Putting a very sick dog - even an elderly one - to sleep is not anything I'd ever wish on anyone - that is truly heartbreaking.

Have a look at clicker training on Google - if you think your little whippet may ever start to have any issues with injections click and treat training will teach it to associate its injections with something nice - little dried liver treats are a good incentive. But you'll definitely need to learn to be calm and positive over this as our fears can be quickly transferred to our pets, as @Brunneria has already said.

Robbity

PS I'm fairly sure there's been a recent thread about other diabetic dogs, which may also be helpful.