1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How much did your car insurance increase by?

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by cyclonic, Nov 10, 2014.

1. cyclonic

cyclonic Prediabetes · Active Member

When you informed them you were diabetic?

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Nothing. I told them I was type 2 and they only wanted to know if I was on insulin or not. I informed them the first time when I was diet controlled and then again when I was put on metformin.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kitty55

kitty55 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here. I am running two cars and none of the insurances increased:)

4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I've never seen a premium applied because I am a T1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Emma_P23

Emma_P23 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never had any premium added and I'm type 1, they just add it to your notes that you are diabetic. Prices definitely shouldn't increase.

• Like Like x 2
  6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

With car insurance there should be no increase due to diabetes alone, but you may find with other insurances (like life insurance for example) there will be if you've not taken one out before your diagnosis.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I informed my car insurance that I was type 1 and using insulin they told me that it is illegal for them to discriminate and raise the premiums.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The above is quite correct :)

9. cyclonic

cyclonic Prediabetes · Active Member

Thanks very much everyone, I've been putting off my IGT test as I thought my insurance would rocket and the DVLA would revoke my licence, but 6.2 isn't quite diabetes is it?

10. LaurieDenton

LaurieDenton Parent · Newbie

Can you suggest a good car insurance firm for a diabetic please?

11. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yes mine is up on the 30th of the month and cant get a premium less than £381, 22 no claims or convictions or even a point my boss pays £240 for his car which is worth £10,000 and my mini cooper is worth £1500

12. DizzyChick

DizzyChick LADA · Well-Known Member

I previously had a 2004 vauxhall corsa and my insurance was just under £400 I was spending too much money on it so decided to treat myself to a brand new 15 plate corsa and my insurance has come down by £100.00 I questioned this as thought by having a new car it would increase as it is worth more money! I was told it was correct and they work the premiums out on the percentage of claims they have had for that model. the other point is the lower value your car is the more chance that if you had an accident it would be a write off as if the cost of repairs are 65% or more of the value they won't repair it so it would be more costly for the insurance company. My insurance are aware I am type 2 on medication but this has no impact on my premium

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook