How much does 10g of carbohydrate raise your bg level

Griffter15

Found this table which estimates how much 1g of carbohydrates would raise your bg level in a type 1 based on weight. (Assuming no other food / insulin on board)

Interested to see how other people compare against this as for me it suggests 10g of carbs would raise my bg level by 1.7mmol but I think it's actually between 3-4 mmol

Screenshot_20160312-100232.png

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not bad as a starting point I guess.

I worked it out for myself by taking 10g then measuring a few times over the next few hours. I don't quite match up to these numbers but still not a bad guide.

/A

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Seems to be a long way out for me. I've tested it quite extensively, and I get roughly 3mmol/l rise from 10g at 200lbs.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a 2/2.5 mmol rise from 10 grams carb (and I'm 69kg /152 lb). Depending of course on what the carbs are.

Low carbing makes me very carb-intolerant.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i had a slice if bread which was 18.5carbs sugar level was 6.4 then 7.2 8hours later i dont know if this good or bad

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 132 lbs and 10g raises me by about 2.5. so no too bad as it says 2.2

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for me it suggests 10g of carbs would raise my bg level by 1.7mmol but I think it's actually between 3-4 mmol

I'm the same as you.
I would imagine it depends to some extent on whether a persons weight is mostly fat or muscle? (plus a million other things probably!)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 125 #s and 1 carb raises me about 7. I never ate 10 without insulin but I am extremely carb sensitive now

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not too far off. I'm 75kg and mine get raised by 2 mmol/l

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Let's be clear here. This isn't a test. It's not whether it's good or bad. It's simply observing what happens to an individual!

Reactions: 2 people

Griffter15

The spread of results is interesting though. It could explain why some people could get more erratic swings than others.

I only realised how much mine rises after getting my libre. I've probably spent the past 10 years over treating hypos.

Top_Barman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It also says in the intro "assuming no other food or insulin on board." As diabetics, I would guess that most if not all of us have some insulin on board, either Basal or Bolus, when testing.

julian27ish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to do this test! I want to do it 5 hours after eating / injecting but struggle to go that long without food

I wonder if it is linked to insulin sensitivity, eg 10g raises sugars by 3 mmol; 1 unit of insulin is needed for 10g of sugars; and 1 unit of insulin also decreases sugars by 3 mmol. Would make calculating corrections easy but I doubt it is so simple. What have you all found?

GordonMcLean

Best way to test it is how my insulin pump doctor and nursing team taught me.
1st things 1st, get you Basal/ background insulin right.
To do this, test your levels, if they are good, go carb free for several hours, check again and if your levels are similar ( not more than 1.0mmol a difference) then do the same the following day/ night at the same time. Eat 10g of carbs then leave it the same amount of hours making sure your background insulin was the same as the day before, also make sure your activity/ exercise is similar or the same as the day before, this should help you get your background right.
Now you have eaten the 10g of carbs waited a few hours ( after following the above guidelines) re test your levels and you should have your answer.
To bring your sugar levels back to range:-
Go carb free and also make sure your background / basal levels are correct and test. Based upon your result take 1 unit of fast acting insulin if it is near your target but not quite. A few hours carb free later the test and see where your levels are at

Reactions: 2 people

Griffter15

It also says in the intro "assuming no other food or insulin on board." As diabetics, I would guess that most if not all of us have some insulin on board, either Basal or Bolus, when testing.
What I should have said was assuming that your basal insulin is set correctly and you have not got any bolus insulin on board