how much fat is too much fat???

hello

I've been trying out low carb lately and fallen flat on my face like every time I try it!!!

I'm getting about 1100 calories a day which might just be why I end up bingeing on carbs :oops: Also depressed and no energy.

thing is, just can't seem to get the calories up.

I'm vegan, so protein sources are beans, nuts, seeds, tofu. These are bulky and I find myself physically full but mentally not satisfied if you know what I mean. Works fine for a few days, then I end up bingeing.

I am using fruit for my carbs but trying to limit it to one piece per meal.

So...I would have to use an awful lot of fat I think for this to work. Like a LOT of avocado and oils and nuts/seeds /nut or seed "milks". I guess this would be a very high fat, low protein, low carb regime.

I don't know if it is just crazy to eat as much fat as I would need to get anywhere near 2000 calories :?

What do you more experienced low-carbers think?

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I am just over a week more experienced than you!

Low carb on its own didn't work nearly as well as LC/HF. I have upped the fats by using coconut oil - I actually quite like it and use it as a spread or eat it off the spoon. I love butter so I will slather it on a couple of rice cakes, or oat crackers (I am gluten-intolerant so don't do bread or wheat products).

I have 1000mg each of cod liver oil and flaxseed oil capsules and I also cook with a generous portion of fat - butter, coconut oil or olive oil, depending on what I am cooking. I also try and have oily fish two or three times a week. I am seeing the difference already.

I wonder, in this day and age whether people can get enough protein from vegetable sources. The soils are so deplete of essential nutrients and so much of the food is sprayed and doctored in one way or another.

I know, often for ethical reasons people prefer to be vegetarian, but we live in difficult times and our bodies need as much support as they can get.

Having said that, you may find that if you can up the fat intake you may get more energy that way. As long as you are getting enough protein for cell repair and renewal then you should be ok.

Read my 'Chocolate craving has gone' for a run down of the benefits I have seen over this last week or so.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat cheese and butter , but have got used to small meals. After a long struggle, I've got my weight moving again, albeit slowly. My BGs have stayed under 6 where I KEEP them.

gbtyke

I have 4 or 5 coffees a day with double cream - no sweeteners. Also use it for cooking veg. Brazil nuts are very good from value Julian Graves at the moment and although some carbs will also up the calories if you are finding you need more so munch away between meals.

Spiral

Maybe because it is Friday and it late, but I'm not sure I understand your query. I wonder if it would be more helpful to write what it is you do eat and ask for advice from that perspective.

As a proper vegetarian (not vegan) I see carbs everywhere in the food that I eat, which is why I say lower rather then low carb, but many of these carbs don't spike me as I think they are indigestable fiber. I am eating more protien than I used to - cheese, egg, nuts, seeds, pulses - and lots of green veg and fresh and raw. I use olive oil and other seed and nut oils as well as cream and butter and happily snack on nuts and seeds if I'm hungry, which are very high fat.

I have more energy than I have had for ages and I have seen improvements in my blood test readings, but I think I'm about half way to the next set of blood tests, which will be the proof I'm looking for.

I have lost loads of weight eating this way, and while I have still got sopme work to do to get my blood sugar under proper control my readings are looking much better.

inwales

curlyheadfreak said:
hello

I've been trying out low carb lately and fallen flat on my face like every time I try it!!!

I'm getting about 1100 calories a day which might just be why I end up bingeing on carbs :oops: Also depressed and no energy.

thing is, just can't seem to get the calories up.

I'm vegan, so protein sources are beans, nuts, seeds, tofu. These are bulky and I find myself physically full but mentally not satisfied if you know what I mean. Works fine for a few days, then I end up bingeing.

I am using fruit for my carbs but trying to limit it to one piece per meal.

So...I would have to use an awful lot of fat I think for this to work. Like a LOT of avocado and oils and nuts/seeds /nut or seed "milks". I guess this would be a very high fat, low protein, low carb regime.

I don't know if it is just crazy to eat as much fat as I would need to get anywhere near 2000 calories :?

What do you more experienced low-carbers think?

I add a lot of olive oil, walnuts, seeds, especially toasted flax seed and avocados for my vegan diet.
Try eating a lot of leafy veg and salad for carbs and soya products too, to up your calories.

In the last week i have lost 4lbs with upping the fats in my diet. The taste of fat is ever so satisyfing...