1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How Much Insulin Do You Take?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by diabeticdancer, May 10, 2014.

1. diabeticdancer

diabeticdancer · Well-Known Member

I'm curious how much insulin you take on a daily basis? I look at my total daily amount at the end of each day and it's usually between 9-17 units combining basal and bolus. This depends on how much I eat and how much activity I have done.

I'm curious to know what amount I will be increasing it to when my honeymoon period ends. I am currently doing 0.1 basal(reduced 50% on active days) and 1:15 carb with meals(maybe 1:20 if I am doing a lot of cardio straight after meal).

I've had a great day with my readings today, and I even managed to get away with ratings banana and a biscuit with no bolus with no significant rise :)

Anyway, thanks in advance for responding. I'm just being nosey and want to know what I will be dealing with in future.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

When working gardening can be 22-25..... When not working about 28-34.
    T1 30 years...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Crikey - I'm on humalogmix25 and have 50 units in the morning and 22 units in the evening and only just managing to keep my BGs in single figures'(most of the time)

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
    Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Miss90

Miss90 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take 34 units of levemir and then my novorapid depends on my carb I take as I carb count.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My basal changes daily, but today my total insulin dose has been 25 units.

• Like Like x 2
  6. phil55494

phil55494 Type 1 · Active Member

How much insulin do I take? I try and take as much as I need. About 25u for basal needs and 30-50 depending on what I eat

• Like Like x 2
  7. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

24u basal. Last few days I have been low carbing and taking another 11u or so bolus. Normally it would be about another 20u for bolus. T1 18 years.

• Like Like x 2
    #7 Spiker, May 11, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  8. MonoJono

MonoJono Type 1 · Active Member

63-72 units a day.
    3x5-8 units of novorapid and
    2x24 units of lantus.

Age 32. T1 27 years. My weight is good and im fairly slim. However i am 6ft 3 and since i broke my foot (which is verrrry slow to heal) im not active.

• Like Like x 2
  9. yingtong

yingtong Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

24u lantus. 2:10 NovoRapid for breakfast (4-10u) then 1:10 for everything else. Average of 5 per meal but could be up to 12 if I get a Chinese :) I would guess my average daily total is around 38

• Like Like x 2
  11. diabeticdancer

diabeticdancer · Well-Known Member

Wow, such a different range. They don't lie when they say everyone has their own unique insulin requirements. Thanks a lot for getting back to me and putting up with my random questions :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Belzedar

Belzedar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm similar: 36 in the morning and 44 in the evening. I'm blaming insulin resistance. I should be on a daily total of 55 units going by the formula from the Diabetes Teaching Center at the University of California,

Using the formula:
    TOTAL DAILY INSULIN DOSE
    = 0.55 x 70 Kg (for example) = 38.5 units of insulin/day

13. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You cannot go by those formulas. They are just an initial guesstimate and then they always change by trial and error based on BG meter results. It's the BG results that matter, not any formula.

14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

TDD is 34-38 units depending on food, 18 of this is basal insulin.

15. Belzedar

Belzedar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have to ask you where your authority comes from and why it's superior to the University of California's diabetes teaching hospital.

My BG experience tells me that the amount of insulin I'm on doesn't really keep my BG in target and that insulin resistance makes any increase is dosage a futile effort. In fact, I believe it's counter productive since the insulin is pants at getting glucose into muscle but very good at shoving the unused glucose into fat cells - and increasing insulin just exacerbates it.

16. lizbet9

lizbet9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

34 units levimir and novo rapid depends in my meal as carb count 1 unit per 10g of carbs x

• Like Like x 2
  17. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

When active, I use 20-25 units (12u basal, sometimes less if running or going for long walks and the rest bolus) When less active then I use about 25-30 (14u basal)

@Belzedar , If you look at your link they keep saying that these formulas aren't set in stone

• Like Like x 6
  18. Danaemac

Danaemac Type 1 · Well-Known Member

40 units lantus ( until tomorrow ) Tdd is between 70 - 80 units a day

• Like Like x 2
  19. SpikeThacker

SpikeThacker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

2 rapid for breakfast 3-5 rapid for lunch 4-7 for dinner (thats on average). obviously that changes alot when i have a indian or chinese or pizza,but thats not very often. i do walk the dog a couple of miles every day, and play golf a couple of times a week. also 20 lantus at night
    type 1 for 6 weeks, and not going to let this beat me:pompous:

• Like Like x 2
  20. fansy

fansy Type 1 · Member

Basal is 20 and Bolus from 10-20. My doctor tells me that 0,8-1,0 per kg is normal. I'm 65 kg, so I use less than that. I used more insulin before I got my pump.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook