1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How Much Insulin (novorapid And Levemir) For How Many Carbs

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by brylstwrt, Aug 7, 2018.

1. brylstwrt

brylstwrt · Newbie

I'm Type 2 on insulin still don't know how much Novorapid penfill I take 30ml insulin x 3day to take with whatever carbs in meals. I get horrible hypos once in a while. I also take 90 Levimir at night also on Sukarto (Metformin 1G x3 day)
    I try to count carbs 30 -50 a meal. but can't figure out but not sure how many ml to inject.Help!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no one on here can advise you on that. You need to speak to your DSN or diabetic consultant about that ASAP

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tonto73

Tonto73 · Member

Talk with your DSN; Insulin resistance varies by person, especially in Type II and you need a DSN or your Dr to advise you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum
    I agree with the other replies.
    I'm on the same insulin regime as you but I'm type 1 and have been doing it for 44 years......
    It would be dangerous to give you advice on numbers.

I wish you well

Tony

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @brylstwrt, Just to clarify for when you speak with your dsn/doctor: Insulin amounts are usually expressed in Units not mls.
    Best Wishes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Levemir isn't connected to your carbs or meals.....

you just need to speak to your team on how to establish your doses....

if they refuse, then there are other sources that can show you the way....

7. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I agree with the other responses that you need to talk to your diabetes team about your dose as it is different for everyone.

However, if you are using Levemir, I do not think you are using a pump.
    You may get more responses if this thread is moved out of the pump forum.

I will tag @Rachox @himtoo and @Jaylee (the moderators currently online) for them to move this thread.

(Sorry guys - I do not know of a group moderator tag.)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @brylstwrt ,

This is a tricky one to advise.

You would need help with you HCPs to establish & check your Levemir basal dose is correct & work it from there with your insulin to carb ratios, (using the Novorapid.) which could also possibly need tweaking for different times of the day, regarding possible insulin resistance levels happening..?
    Working from that. you will need to focus on learning to carb count..

I've moved your thread to "Type two with insulin" & tagged in @ickihun in the hope you get suitable responses regarding your query?

Kind regards.

J>

9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Get back onto your dn or whoever put you on insulin. They should be monitoring your insulin use. Ensure they are aware you don't know how to manage these insulins.
    When are you due to see them next?

What instructions were you given on how to manage your 2 insulins. In a diary and written down for you??
    Were you told to increase or decrease units yourself???

You are desperate for a review if you are at a stage you feel hypos are occurring. Has your meter backed up your thoughts of hypo levels? Real hypos or feelings of hypos but only due to high levels of bgs in the past as your norm?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook