How much panicking should I be doing

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was due to have a nose operation this coming Tuesday and attended the hospital last Tuesday for a pre-op assessment.

As part of the pre-op assessment they test blood sugar (sorry if that is the wrong term new to this)

The first reading was 16.5 which seemed to surprise the nurse, she made me wash my hands and then re did the test which read 20.8. At this point she said I think that the machine is playing up and went to get another tester. When she came back and did it again with a new machine the reading was 17.5.

She then said the staff nurse would be along to see me.

The staff nurse then gave me a form for a fasting blood test which I had on Wednesday morning. I told the staff nurse that I was away until Sunday in Ireland at a wedding and she said to call on Monday to see if operation is going ahead.

The staff nurse called me on my mobile in Ireland on Friday to say that my fasting result was 13.9 and that i needed to collect my results and take them to my GP on Monday and that my operation would not be going ahead.

This has come out of nowhere!!! I asked her what that result meant but all she would say is it was not good.

Is it all doom and gloom

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please don't panic :) It's possible that you do have diabetes but only your doctor can diagnose you. If it turns out that you do have diabetes the positive thing is that you can now take action and make changes to your diet which will benefit your health. Living with undiagnosed diabetes would be more damaging to your health so it's better to know either way so that changes can be made. All the best tomorrow with your GP, please let us know how you get on.

Clairslloyd

I am pretty new to this, my first test was 7.5 and I was told I was deffo diabetic - omg did I panic so I can understand how you feel to a certain degree. Best thing is to see your GP and go from there. Hope you get on ok. Let us know :)

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Clairslloyd and SophieW for your words of reassurance

Well just got back from the Doctors. Dr informed me that the results suggest diabetes and she is referring me to have my eyes checked. She also refered me to Desmonds?? amnd also I have to see the diabetic nurse next week. Also sending me for more blood tests including HbA1c.

Will this test tell me what type of diabetes I have (I forgot to ask as she was giving me so much info!!!!)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Frazer and welcome to the forum :) The HbA1c test will tell you your average levels for the past 8-12 weeks. To decide whether you are type 1 or 2 you need to have a C-peptide test and GAD antibodies test to tell you that. Hopefully they will do these tests when you give the next lot of blood.

If you are diagnosed here is some basic information written by the forum monitors that will be helpful to you:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

Ask as many questions as you want.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi frazer
they will tell you on your next visit if your t1 or type 2 .Also don't be afraid to ask them any questions ? Like wise on the forum .Like us all the diagnosis is the biggest shock. Once you come out of the ( :shock: ) it isn't all too bad. Theres a lot of good people on this forum who will help with q?'s and advice .
Take care JF. :D

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Daisy1 and JF it has all been a bit of a shock and I feel a bit numb and lost!! I know that sounds a bit dramatic but as I have said in my previous post came from nowhere.

JF I have my pathology form and they will be testing for the following.

Creatinine and Electrolytes
Liver Profile
Thyroid Function
Fasting Lipids
Fasting Glucose
FBC
and HbA1c

but it does not mention a C-peptide test and GAD antibodies test

Frazer

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Still don't panic, Frazer. They probably think you have Type 2, which is much more likely than Type1, statistically. Also Type 1 is more likely to show physical symptoms. But make sure you ask your doctor to explain what they're testing for, and what the results mean. The ones they are giving you seem to be the regular 'MOT' which I have once a year, to give a baseline on your health that they can refer to in future.

My doctor discusses everything with me, and gives me copies of all my test results in the sure and certain knowledge that I'll go straight home and check them on the internet! but not all doctors are as forbearing as mine. You're entitled to them , however, and don't be afraid to ask for explanations.

Let us know how you go on.

Viv :)

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
viviennem said:
They probably think you have Type 2, which is much more likely than Type1, statistically. Also Type 1 is more likely to show physical symptoms.
Depends on age, weight, and ethnicity.

OP, it's great that they have picked this up before you have symptoms, even though it's come as a bit of a shock. It's also great that you have been referred to DESMOND right away, I think it's like DAFNE but for type 2, so it's a course showing you how to improve your blood sugar.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't panic, if something is found, then at least they found it without you getting warnings by way of complications before realisation so to speak....Be positive....many people find out because of their eyesight going or other problems etc....if it is diabetes at least you haven't got to a stage where it was affecting you pre diagnosis.....

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Tests:

Creatinine and Electrolytes - essentiall the protein in your blood to check if your kidneys work

Liver Profile - checks if liver works

Thyroid Function - measures Thyroid stimulating hormone and free T3 (I think or T4), as often type 1's autoimmunity decides to eat the thyroid a bit too.

Fasting Lipids - I guess this is fat processing but I think it is to do with liver. Not sure on that one

Fasting Glucose - see if you've got diabetes

FBC - full blood count

and HbA1c - measures the amount of sugar 'stuck' to red blood cells giving an approx average of sugars for about last 3 months

They are standard and at least they're screening your thyroid. If that's busted it can be horrid.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
'Fasting lipids' is cholesterol. Make sure they break the results down for you and don't just give you 'Total cholesterol'.

Viv :)

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to everyone who posted on here during my mini panic. I am feeling a little calmer about the situation I find myself in. I have had more blood taken yesterday for testing and have been told that the results will be with my Doctor on Monday. I see the diabetes nurse on Tuesday and will no doubt find out the results then.

frazerl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:( Turns out I do not need to wait until Tuesday for my results!!! As I said in my post yesterday I was feeling a little calmer, I think if the truth be old I think I was trying to convice myself that the test results were anomalies and that when I get my latest results all will be well and I would skip away into the sunset.

Well my little bubble burst today over lunch when the Doctor called me to say it was not good news as my HbA1c was 9 and that she would like to start me on medication tomorrow!!!!

All seems a little too urgent to me.

I know I should be grateful that it was picked up through a random test and that they have caught it early (assuming I have not had it for years) but I am not grateful I am miserable and if I am honest a little scared.

I think the reason I am a little scared is that I don't normally get calls from Doctors and so far in one week I have had two calls from the hospital and one from my GP. I am glad that they are on top of it but the urgency is a little unnerving.

:shock:

hallii

Your doc is on the ball, you can't complain about the service you are getting!

First off, you have no need to panic, your BGs (Blood Glucose) are not in the disaster zone, they are in the lower regions. They need to come down and they will, the meds will kick in after about three weeks to a month if you are put on Metformin (likely but not certain).

You will need to get a meter and some test strips, ask the Doc for some.

Your Bgs will come down as you eat fewer carbs and the meds kick in. It will take some time maybe months to get things to where they should be.

We all felt a bit shocked on diagnosis, you will soon get over it and get to be an expert like us (not!).

Read up as much as you can, you need to be pro-active in your day to day management, your doc is the boss, of course, but you have to be "on the ball" so to speak and keep a beady eye on things.

So, relax, do the right things, eat the right foods and you will hardly know you have diabetes, I don't let it affect my life style at all, I do everything I want to, except eat chips :).

H

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Totally a natural reaction.....my reaction when I was diagnosed (not recommended)- was to go round a friends and get drunk before going in to hospital the next day!!! (In those days type 1's were admitted in for a few days). Yours is a totally normal reaction.....it is a huge thing to accept, and you won't manage to accept it overnight. I also cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks.

You will get so much help and support from here....you will be okay, but it will take time to accept.

TheSparkyPony

Nothing really substantial to add - I'm a T1 and was diagnosed at a young age so don't really remember much!

All I wanted to add was good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on - you'll find out soon enough that this forum is a goldmine full of information and helpful posters :D xxx

anna-banana81

Dislikes
Food not containing chocolate!!!
Hey Frazer,

I hope you are feeling a little calmer now :) Like everyone else has said here, all you will notice is a change to your diet and popping a couple pills a day! You can still have treats, but they are just that, a treat not daily food. There is loads of help out there :)

When I was diagnosed type 1 two years ago (ok, 2 years, 1 month and 17 days lol Yes I did just look on a calendar!) I found out with an ambulance on my doorstep when the Dr received my results lol I had been ill for several weeks, and thought that drinking fruit juice would be a great start to feeling better, Oh how I know better now!!! Your tests results really aren't that bad, they will come down a bit over time but you don't need to worry :)

Keep in touch with friends, it's the best way to stay on track! Pretty soon you will be so used to it all that it won't phase you. And don't worry if you have a treat or you have a day where you just want comfort food or a big bowl of chips!! We all get days like that, and the next day you go back to the healthier eating and all is ok.

Take care, and stay positive, Anna :)