Type 2 How much should be blood sugar one hour and two hours after eating?

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I check my blood sugar one hour and two hours after eating and I find that one hour post is a little high than two hours post... can anyone tell me normal values after every hour after meal ...

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That chart helensaramay posted up is the best reference.
7.8 is what I go by for the 2 hr post-prandial.
I no longer bother with a 1 hr post-prandial. You can, of course, and many people do, but I find the results unpredictable and very short term. 2 hrs seems to give me the best indication of whether something I ate will give me a significant spike or not.

Reactions: Altaf_7 and dbr10

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no figure for after meal testing. The aim is to get control of your blood sugar you don't need to test 1 hour after, Test before meal and two hours after you start eating This tells you how much your Levels have risen this is a guide to which foods cause your blood sugar to rise. so you will eventually be able to avoid foods that spike your Levels 2 hours is chosen as a guide because after any meal you Bs will rise then start going down after two hours is the chosen time to get a consistent reading so you can compare different food etc and as a guide as to how any medicine is working 'etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaywak and Altaf_7

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alldepends on your starting level.
As an ideal less than 7.8 2 hours after eating, as others have said I rarely bother with the 1 hour reading due to its eccentricities
People also say that the ideal is no more than a 2mmol rise between pre and post meall tests. I dont get caught up in that as long as whatever rise I get keeps me under 7.8 post prandial. I ust nots that if a particular food causes say a 3 mmol rise then that food is only ok for me to eat if Im starting off with a pre meal reading in the 4’s

Last edited:
Reactions: Altaf_7

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By the 2 hour mark your levels should always be on the way down. At 1 hour they are nearing the peak but not necessarily at the peak. The peak can be at any time, normally within 2 hours, but this depends entirely on the contents of the meal, especially if a lot of fat is involved and depending on the type of carbs eaten. Fast release carbs peak faster than slow release ones. Certain foods, however, peak later than 2 hours (pizza tends to be one of these).

I stopped the 1 hour testing and now test at 2 hours and if not back to near where I started, I test at 2.5 hours.

The ideal is not to be above 2mmol/l higher than you started at the 2 hour mark, and preferably a lot less than 2mmol/l.

Reactions: jjraak and Altaf_7

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I check my blood sugar one hour and two hours after eating and I find that one hour post is a little high than two hours post... can anyone tell me normal values after every hour after meal ...
I check at 1 hr & 2 hr intervals. I like to keep the spike at less than 1.7 at the 1 hr mark and I use the 2 hr spike to check if it's on it's way down. If it's not trending down, I will check again a 1/2 hr later. So if the meal takes my reading higher than the 1.7 at the 1 hr mark, then I know not to eat it again. I find that if I take my reading only at the 2 hr mark, my numbers have already started coming down. For example, I had roast beef with a small potato, broccoli and butter for Dinner. I started at 4.8, 1 hr reading was 6.8, 2 hr reading was 5.7. If you went with just the 2 hr reading, you would think the meal was fine. I look at the 1 hr reading and see that I need to keep the potato small. Using just the 2 hr reading also wouldn't tell me that my BG is going down.

fendertele

tonight I had

1 steak
2 pieces of chicken
mayonnaise
coleslaw and coke zero

went a short walk for 30 mins and tested when i got back in.

I tested exactly 2 hours after I ate and got 5.1 :)

I also then went to the gym and had the best workout i've had in at least 12 months... my energy was through the roof! This was my first day using my glucose meter until today I had just been living on meat and eggs to get back to normal levels felt good to have variety.

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think reading the comments on here about not letting bgs go up more than 2 after a meal must be quite frightening to most of us who cant possibly achieve them sort of figures and to be honest I have never even tried to , And I was once told by a diabetic consultant at the hospital that I was controlling my diabetes too strictly and should relax it a bit .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think reading the comments on here about not letting bgs go up more than 2 after a meal must be quite frightening to most of us who cant possibly achieve them sort of figures and to be honest I have never even tried to , And I was once told by a diabetic consultant at the hospital that I was controlling my diabetes too strictly and should relax it a bit .
This no more then 2 numbers is for a type two - since being ill at the start of 2020 I have been keeping to a rise of no more than 1 whole number, but I don't advise that for others, I think I had Covid and it has altered something from my previous condition. For me - unmedicated and totally diet controlled, there is no danger of hypos, so no problem at all.

Reactions: fendertele

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
its ironic that Type 1s can envy diet controlled Types 2s having small rises, yet Type 2s envy Type 1s being able to eat almost anything as long as they dose for it.
We can't choose which type we get!
Each of us can only try to manage what we have

Reactions: Bluetit1802