How nice is cauliflower rice...

DaveNN

A statement not a question.
Tried it tonight, as part of my 800 cal a day routine ( did overshoot a bit BUT hey oh ).

Bloody excellent!

That's all I have to say on this subject,thanks for reading.

Reactions: 10 people

DaveNN

I'm sorry but I can't add anything else...but yep! With about 2.4% carbs,might actually make my own next time...this came in a bag :) perhaps broccoli would work the same way?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
broccoli doesn't have the same structure and does not hold its shape as well when cooked

cauliflower is fab as a substitute for higher carb potato or rice

the natural stuff comes in at 2.2 carbs per 100 grams :)

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I didn't like it , I like the carrot or the courgetti but not the caulirice. Funny thing is I love cauliflower.

DaveNN

broccoli doesn't have the same structure and does not hold its shape as well when cooked

cauliflower is fab as a substitute for higher carb potato or rice

the natural stuff comes in at 2.2 carbs per 100 grams :)

Yep...2.2% I had it at 2.4% . I was just thinking that broccoli may have a higher water content, perhaps a bit added semi blanched.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
broccoli comes in at 1.1 carb per 100 grams -- works excellent with a cheese sauce and / or mixed up together with celeriac , cabbage , and onion as a mash ( or can be made into patties and fried -- **** getting hungry just telling you this :)

Reactions: 4 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't like it , I like the carrot or the courgetti but not the caulirice. Funny thing is I love cauliflower.

Did you make your own or try the ready made version. I love home-made versions, but tried a ready made pouch this week which was nasty! But everyone has different tastes

DaveNN

It didn't look that great in the pouch TBA, the better half grabbed it whilst out shopping. I'm not saying I can live on it BUT I'll be finishing it off tomorrow, as it only lasts a day or so once opened. I suppose it could be frozen though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Love cauliflower but cauli rice just doesn't work for me I'm afraid, rather have it whole and either boiled or steamed.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
How do you cook it please

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
for rice -- put it in a food processor raw to "rice it " -- then stir fry or steam for 1 to 2 minutes and then stir fry

if subbing for potato steam first then mash like potato

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Love cauliflower but cauli rice just doesn't work for me I'm afraid, rather have it whole and either boiled or steamed.

I would have to agree with you. Cauliflower rice is just such a fuss to make. Grated cauliflower even just blanched must lose a lot of its nutrients. I like cauliflower as it is and can eat curry without rice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would have to agree with you. Cauliflower rice is just such a fuss to make. Grated cauliflower even just blanched must lose a lot of its nutrients. I like cauliflower as it is and can eat curry without rice.

We also make a cauliflower/brocolli cheese and add plenty of garlic cloves into the mix, its really nice and doesn't take too long to make :)

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456440977.464750.jpg

We used to do batches of cauli rice in a processor and freeze it. Helps when Waitrose after xmas reduced them to 10p!!

We used to take out daily-defrost and spread on a sheet of greasproof paper and add on lashing of oil and meditereanean herbs.

Cauliflower though is no good if stomach is sensitive to fodmap foods so I've had to ditch eating cauli.. It was so, so, so tasty but its a veg that isn't on the good list for people with who have IBS or trying to follow a low FODMAP eating lifestyle due to stomach issues.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456445266.664405.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's also good in a risotto or kedgeree. Cauli mash is a good'un too. Also, whole roasted with spices.

Reactions: 3 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
We cook cauliflower rice at home by hand grating a cauliflower then frying it with lots of butter and appropriate seasoning. It uses loads of butter but it's worth it; a great carb substitute.

This is another great cauliflower cheese recipe, although I'm sure as everyone reads Country Life here you will all have seen it... :eek: - it doesn't look anything like the photos though.

Essentially, you break up a cauliflower sprinkle with oil salt and pepper and bake then add to creme fraiche and cheese and bake until melted. It makes a whole meal if you add cooked leeks and bacon.

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/life-i...recipes-ever-roasted-cauliflower-cheese-13551

Best

Dillinger

Last edited by a moderator: