How old were you at diagnosis?

Dippy3103

Hi,
this kind of came from another thread. How old were all my fellow t2's at diagnosis?
Thought it might be interesting to work out an average age.
I was 39.
Dx

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Re: How were you at diagnosis?

Well as far as I know, the average age for type 2 diabetes is around 35 - 45 ....
But it may have changed... I was diagnosed at 36, 10 days before my birthday :shock:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was diagnosed Nov 2010 (but I think I had been having symptoms before now I think back) and I was 45.
Angie

ps. think your title needs an 'old' in it. :wink:

Dippy3103

So it does... Hopefully one of our lovely mods will come to my rescue and change it!

louiseb

I have been diabetic for 1 year now and I was 27 when I was diagnosed :shock: I know its very young but I have a family history diabetes is very prevelant in my family.
my twin sister was diagnosed at 26

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

22 (or 21? Not sure) when I was diagnosed type 2, 26 when they realised it had been type 1 all along.

louiseb

HLW said:
22 (or 21? Not sure) when I was diagnosed type 2, 26 when they realised it had been type 1 all along.

how did the doctors realise you were type 1

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was 46 at diagnosis. I'm sure I'd had it for at least three years before that. Had I not gone to the doctors with a sore throat that wouldn't go away, then I would had been older.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@Louise:

My blood sugar levels had been slowly rising ever since I was diagnosed, and the number of tablets I was on was also increasing, so I asked my GP to refer me to the proper diabetic clinic with consultants at the hospital, so I could see a dietician and get tips about how to keep the blood sugar lower. The consultant immediately said I was very young to have type 2 diabetes (he said he would get anyone under the age of 40 with diabetes tested for type 1 because that was more likely than it being type 2), and was not in a high risk group for type 2 diabetes, and gave me a blood test form for tests for type 1 (I left it for a few months until the next hba1c was due to actually get the blood test done, I could not face having an extra blood test, they really scare me).

The tests came back positive. This was a bit of a shock because days before the I had the test results back my GP changed me from pioglitazone to gliclazide (in addition to metformin), the gliclazide worked wonderfully and I felt better than I had done for ages, so I assumed this meant it must be type 2. The consultant said the reason it had worked because when you get type 1 in adulthood the cells take quite a while to all die, so the tablets make the remaining ones work harder to produce insulin (and help kill them off in the process).

There are three blood tests they can do to test for type 1 diabetes - one for GAD antibodies, one for c-peptide levels, and another one that I don't remember. I had the first two done, they were both positive for type 1 diabetes. If you look on wikipeadia, it has an explanation of what each one is testing for.

tl;dr: they realised when the blood test for type 1 came back positive.

louiseb

HLW said:
@Louise:

My blood sugar levels had been slowly rising ever since I was diagnosed, and the number of tablets I was on was also increasing, so I asked my GP to refer me to the proper diabetic clinic with consultants at the hospital, so I could see a dietician and get tips about how to keep the blood sugar lower. The consultant immediately said I was very young to have type 2 diabetes (he said he would get anyone under the age of 40 with diabetes tested for type 1 because that was more likely than it being type 2), and was not in a high risk group for type 2 diabetes, and gave me a blood test form for tests for type 1 (I left it for a few months until the next hba1c was due to actually get the blood test done, I could not face having an extra blood test, they really scare me).

The tests came back positive. This was a bit of a shock because days before the I had the test results back my GP changed me from pioglitazone to gliclazide (in addition to metformin), the gliclazide worked wonderfully and I felt better than I had done for ages, so I assumed this meant it must be type 2. The consultant said the reason it had worked because when you get type 1 in adulthood the cells take quite a while to all die, so the tablets make the remaining ones work harder to produce insulin (and help kill them off in the process).

There are three blood tests they can do to test for type 1 diabetes - one for GAD antibodies, one for c-peptide levels, and another one that I don't remember. I had the first two done, they were both positive for type 1 diabetes. If you look on wikipeadia, it has an explanation of what each one is testing for.

tl;dr: they realised when the blood test for type 1 came back positive.

thanks for the reply i just wondered becuase im 28 and I have always a thought at the back at my mind that I might not be type 2 however my doctor refuses to test me for type 1 or refer me to a diabetic clinic in the hospital his reasoning is because im overweight im type 2 end of story.
I attend gp led diabetic clinic at my doctors surgery.

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump

It was two weeks after my 31st birthday when I was diagnosed. My best friend was 36, my brother was 37/38 (can't quite remember) and my sister was 45 when they were. We are all type 2.

Klair

anniep

Sorry your not the oldest - I was 52, my brother 54 though he had been diabetic for a while. My uncle was 54 too. Looks like our family has a perset for diabetes in our ealry 50's

ShyGirl

Had infection , ended up in intensive care and being pumped full of insulin. I was 26 and it was a couple of years ago. I'll never forget the scary woman who informed me I was Diabetic ,. life would change and even mentioned having children in the future! Nice.. :shock:

ClaireG 06

I was dx'd pre diabetic about seven years ago so when i was 35. I was then dx'd as type 2, 3 years ago when i was 39.

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Diagnosed type 2 in July 2009 at the grand old age of not-quite-62 after losing 10 kilos over a month, terrific thirst, pins & needles in feet and hands, leg cramps and a dose of thrush to add to my misery!

Nothing in the family, was not overweight (even before the sudden weight loss) and on a healthy diet.

It just seems as though my pancreas decided to not work properly! It's what life throws at you and I just cheerfully get on with it and feel good.

mtr01

I'm newly diagnosed with t2, aged 47, this seems to fit the averages. There is no diabetes in the family, and i'v not got any symptons. Guess im just lucky :)

krs1958

I was diagnosed in early December 2010 at 52 as a T2.

My mother has to see the doctor as she has failed the glucose tolerance test. She has enjoyed good heath for all her life. She is 76 and not happy if diabetes is confirmed.