How soon after LCHF were you able to cut back/out on Metformin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
At least some of your problems seem similar to the ones that I had when taking Simvastatin and Pravastatin, so it may be that it was the statin causing the problems.

Unless of course you stopped the statin and continued with Metformin and found the problems didn't go away until you stopped Metformin as well.

My GP seems keen for me to try Atorvastatin because it is a more recent drug with allegedly less side effects.

I wasn't keen before I read your post!

I was prescribed Atorvastatin after being swung by the qrisk calculation. Within a week I had muscle pain and weakness. I stopped taking it and within about ten days the side effects disappeared

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got ill when taking met, got switched to gliclazide, and started a lchf diet on my own. About 3 months later I was off the gliclazide, which could have happened sooner, just didn't see the doc about it before then.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Guzzler

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on nine tablets a day for Type 2D high blood pressure and other issues when I began the low carb diet.First diagnosed in 2001, and prescribed Metformin 2 tablets, then 3 and finally Gliclazide was added.........I was taken off Gliclazide two months after beginning Low carb,end of December 2016 and a couple of months later stopped one of the Metformin.My bs levels increased,so for the moment I am back to three Met a day.Im still optimistic that I'll be able to at least reduce the Metformin still no Glicazide,so one down and hopefully more to go!........I have to take into account the 16 years I've been diabetic,and my age(I'm reminded that I have a 79 year old pancreas!!).My blood pressure is also much improved and BMI almost there!But I'm playing safe and continuing the tablets for bp.As I've always tolerated Metformin I'll be happy with just a lower dose as it has the other benefits already mentioned.......I wish I'd been made aware of the LCMF diet when first diagnosed....
Forgot to say I'm off the statins too having read more about them!