How To Get A Fasting/non Fasting Insulin Test In The Uk Without A Gp Referal

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
unkindness
Hi, I apologize if I am considered to be out of place here as I have never been diagnosed with diabetes or even pre D or insulin resistance. But I do suspect that I have or have had insulin resistance because until I went on keto diet to lose weight I have had high blood pressure (30+yrs) as well as other health issues that point to insulin resistance. I would like to get my insulin levels checked. Needless to say my GP is totally baffled as to why I would want an insulin test because as far as he is concerned I'm a relatively healthy person. I have looked online to see if I can get it done privately but I can't find out how I go about getting blood drawn. Can anyone enlighten me please. This is the only UK forum I have found that seems to have a real community feel and genuinely helpful and intelligent discussions.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I apologize if I am considered to be out of place here as I have never been diagnosed with diabetes or even pre D or insulin resistance. But I do suspect that I have or have had insulin resistance because until I went on keto diet to lose weight I have had high blood pressure (30+yrs) as well as other health issues that point to insulin resistance. I would like to get my insulin levels checked. Needless to say my GP is totally baffled as to why I would want an insulin test because as far as he is concerned I'm a relatively healthy person. I have looked online to see if I can get it done privately but I can't find out how I go about getting blood drawn. Can anyone enlighten me please. This is the only UK forum I have found that seems to have a real community feel and genuinely helpful and intelligent discussions.

I can't recall if it's Blue Horizon, or MediChecks, but one of them offeres a service where you buy a "voucher" to pay for the blood draw in a list of places.

I haven't used them myself, but they are available. I think @bulkbiker did it that way, so I have tagged him for comment if he has a moment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you go to Medichecks they offer an Insulin Resistance test which does your fasting insulin and fasting blood sugar for you.
You will have to pay a bit more to get the blood drawn at a private hospital if your GP won't do it for you. From memory it cost an extra £24 over the cost of the blood sample.

https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/insulin-resistance-test is the test

They can send you a finger pricker so you can do your own sample but looking at the amount they wanted and how much I usually get out from a finger prick I elected to have the blood drawn professionally at a local hospital. However I have just checked their website and can't see the offer of a blood drawer anywhere so it may be worth giving them a call to see if they still offer that service.
They are pretty responsive.
Last time I had the insulin test done I timed it for when I was having other blood tests and the phlebotomist was happy to fill the medichecks vial once she had stuck my arm...

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
unkindness
Thanks Guys, yes Medichecks looks good. At the checkout you can pick a blood draw service nearby.