1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How To Get A Fasting/non Fasting Insulin Test In The Uk Without A Gp Referal

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Intermittent_faster, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Intermittent_faster

Intermittent_faster Don't have diabetes · Member

Hi, I apologize if I am considered to be out of place here as I have never been diagnosed with diabetes or even pre D or insulin resistance. But I do suspect that I have or have had insulin resistance because until I went on keto diet to lose weight I have had high blood pressure (30+yrs) as well as other health issues that point to insulin resistance. I would like to get my insulin levels checked. Needless to say my GP is totally baffled as to why I would want an insulin test because as far as he is concerned I'm a relatively healthy person. I have looked online to see if I can get it done privately but I can't find out how I go about getting blood drawn. Can anyone enlighten me please. This is the only UK forum I have found that seems to have a real community feel and genuinely helpful and intelligent discussions.

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't recall if it's Blue Horizon, or MediChecks, but one of them offeres a service where you buy a "voucher" to pay for the blood draw in a list of places.

I haven't used them myself, but they are available. I think @bulkbiker did it that way, so I have tagged him for comment if he has a moment.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

If you go to Medichecks they offer an Insulin Resistance test which does your fasting insulin and fasting blood sugar for you.
    You will have to pay a bit more to get the blood drawn at a private hospital if your GP won't do it for you. From memory it cost an extra £24 over the cost of the blood sample.

https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/insulin-resistance-test is the test

They can send you a finger pricker so you can do your own sample but looking at the amount they wanted and how much I usually get out from a finger prick I elected to have the blood drawn professionally at a local hospital. However I have just checked their website and can't see the offer of a blood drawer anywhere so it may be worth giving them a call to see if they still offer that service.
    They are pretty responsive.
    Last time I had the insulin test done I timed it for when I was having other blood tests and the phlebotomist was happy to fill the medichecks vial once she had stuck my arm...

4. Intermittent_faster

Intermittent_faster Don't have diabetes · Member

Thanks Guys, yes Medichecks looks good. At the checkout you can pick a blood draw service nearby.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook